1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ginne has bowed legs?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nightshade, Jul 30, 2007.

1. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay so here is the thing I have never had ginnes before. One of our ginne peeps has bowed legs causing it to often fall when walking and to be rather unstable when standing. Is there anything I can do to make it easier for it or do I just let it grow to full size and hope for the best? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

2. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    There is a way to put a bandaid on their legs to help them gain strenght in their legs.
    I will look for a picture of how to do it.
    Maybe someone else will chime in with some help.

Found it! Has pics and everything. Hope it helps!
    http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  3. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Do you have them in a brooder with newspaper on the floor?

4. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

No right now they are living in a 35 gal reptial tank in the middle of the bedroom, lol. I use cruched corn cobs for the floor covering. They are around 5 weeks old.

5. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Could their feet be slipping on the glass floor? Does it have a glass floor? Can you post pictures? This doesn't sound good. The baby could get worse and die.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I would personally not use crushed corn cobs because from what I've seen it is rather food looking. If their feet reach the glass, that could be the source of the problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by