GINORMOUS raccoon in backyard this evening...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Kellita, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Kellita

Kellita Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2012
    Florida
    Wolfing down cat food...will they climb in an open coop?

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Um... yes. If the coop is accessible from the run, and does not close securely against predators you are asking for trouble. You should be able to completely close the coop at night with locks that a five fingers raccoon can not manipulate to open. They have hands, not paws. That includes oppose-able thumbs.. Chicken wire is not safe for the keeping raccoons out. If you have an open air coop with hardware cloth and that hardware cloth is secured properly, then really shouldn't have a problem... Is that what you mean by open coop? Or do you mean, the coop door/pop door is open?

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Set a trap by the coop then you will know if it hangs around there. They can climb,dig,and are pretty darn strong when they want to rip something open.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Set a trap for sure but don't leave food of any kind around at night its attracting the coons & know telling what else will show up.

5. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Make sure it is legal to trap them before you do. The coop needs to be very secure if you have raccoons around.

6. gpwelding1

gpwelding1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2011
    upstate south carolina
    also be aware, that if you saw this one,he is DEFINATLY not the only one around!
    i have caught 17 in just the last few months.
    not to mention 7 possums and 2 wild domestic cats.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by