ginuea ?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by only one lay, May 7, 2009.

1. only one lay

only one lay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    litchfield mi
    It is about a year old
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I started getting another egg of odd shape. If a girl could she have just started laying at this age?

2. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    A guinea egg is shaped different than a chicken egg. I was worried about telling the difference until we found our first one. And yes, she could jsut now be laying her first egg. I was told they only lay seasonally in the spring. Of course, I could be wrong... I don't know as much about guineas as I should. Never planned on getting her, but my 4yo DD had to have her.

3. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    That is a pearl gray guinea. They do start laying in the spring. Ours were born in July and just started laying. They do lay in cycles spring, summer and i think in early fall. The egg is sort of long, skinny and speckled orange.
    [​IMG]
    Our first guinea egg

edited for spelling error

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Try to crack that egg, if you think your gonna break the counter your cracking it on, it is a guinea egg. Should be pointier than regular egg too.

5. only one lay

only one lay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    litchfield mi
    Thank you all very much.

6. hippie

hippie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    N.E. missouri
    that looks like a male to me. every year i forget what a guinea egg looks like but it is unmistakeable. if you drop it on the concrete and it doesn't break, it a guinea egg.

7. warcard

warcard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    SE Indiana
    My girls can get big wattles like only-one-lay's, I only guarantee a girl if I have heard the two-tone "buck-wheat" call out of her.

Yeah, if you gotta really whack the egg to break it, it is a guinea egg. They are also more "pyramidal" instead of "ovally" (okay neither one of those is probably a real word but they are descriptive [​IMG] )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by