1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Girl fight!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by my5hens, Oct 24, 2011.

1. my5hens

my5hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Two of my RIRs got into it today. I let them out for some run around time and the next thing I knew, two of them were sort of snipping at each other, feathers ruffled and all. It didnt look serious and it ended quickly and I dont think they really even hurt each other. One of them was my "alpha" hen.
    I guess she has to remind everyone once in a while [​IMG]

2. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Or maybe someone was challenging her position. Chicken politics. [​IMG]

3. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    I had the same thing happen when a hen who'd been away doing broody duty decided it was time to take herself and her baby back to the flock. She got into it good with one of my game mix hens. There was a little blood drawn on their combs, so I broke them up. They were fine after that and are now getting along well. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    It must be the weather or something. Check out these two:

[​IMG]

The two stared at each other in utter silence for at least a minute. Then the gal on the left lunged at the one on the right and actually knocked her off the roost!

5. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    one of my hens thaight it would be a good time to go againt my top hen because hse had a bad eye but when they were staring at each other my top hen just jamp at her really fast and she has spurs aswell and that was the end but after that she made sure every one knew she was boss

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by