Girl or boy? Silver laced Wyandotte and buff Orpington

koolkat

Hatching
Apr 12, 2015
Can anyone help me sex my chickens? I think they're female but their behavior is very roosterish. They tend to jump at each other and ruffle their feathers (especially neck feather) at each other.

The Wyandotte is a pullet for sure. She looks just like the ones in my flock right now. If she was a roo, she'd look a lot different: dark saddles and longer primary feather on the wings, a dark collar of feathers on the neck, larger legs with spurs, and a wide rose comb with long black tail feathers. My rooster's comb looks like he's wearing a little red hat.

Thank you!

They are now 4 months old or 17 weeks old and the Orpington is really calm, friendly, and clucks softly. We can hold it easily and isn't skittish around people.

The wyandotte, on the other hand yells a lot, is skittish, and does not like to be held at all(flaps wings and wiggles legs). Only time we get good contact is hand feeding with food. It's booty feathers has been developing weirdly (waddle?)? I'm starting to question whether it's a rooster or just a really loud hen?

Thank you again!

Wyandottes are by nature, a "bigger" bird. Their body mass seems to make it uncomfortable for them to be picked up and handled -unlike with a smaller bird. Ours seem to like a waist or chest-high perch where they can jump up and be "sociable" with us. I had one hen that actually loved to jump up on my shoulder where she'd then gab my ear off with her little hen chatter. Hand feeding is a great way to interact with em too. Here's a recent shot of my rooster (he's over 13 pounds now and stands about 28" tall, before he poses to crow) He's the very same bird in my avatar. The avatar shot is from April 2014 back when he was about the size of a small football.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom