1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

girl or boy ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sarahs chooks, Sep 8, 2010.

1. sarahs chooks

sarahs chooks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    I recently got this chook and was told it was a girl and she will lay green/ blue eggs, I have never had one of these before and am unsure if the information I was given is right..... Can someone please tell me
    [​IMG]

2. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    That is a light brown leghorn hen, she will lay large white eggs.

3. sarahs chooks

sarahs chooks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    Thank you so much for the info Hollywood chickens, that has put my mind at rest that she is a hen, my children will love collecting her eggs :)

4. Hottchick

Hottchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Maybe this is a really stupid question but other than when they're grown, how can you tell if it's a roo or a hen? I was trying to identify the breed of my pullet and someone said she looked like a he. They're 5 weeks old. How do you know? This is my first venture into raising chickens. I'm trying to be on the down low with them and I can't have roosters.

5. Hollywood Chickens

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    With some breeds it is easier than others, like barred rocks, the boys have more white than the girls. With most breeds you can tell by a comb at 4 weeks, or hackle feathers coming in.

ETA: Just read your posts, at 4 weeks Leghorns have visible combs , and large yellow combs don't count.
    The black one looks like a black sex linked pullet, with a nice henny yellow comb.
    Your leghorns are all girls.
    Enjoy!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  6. Hottchick

Hottchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Thanks! I sincerely hope they are all girls. None look different than the rest, I didn't know why someone thought she was a he. You've put my mind at rest a bit. I was afraid I would have to rehome someone and my kids are very attached. They named all of them and can tell who's who.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:x2

8. Hollywood Chickens

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Quote:x2

You always agree with me [​IMG]