Girl Scout Gold Award project-egg charity, SE CT

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cindy leigh, Feb 19, 2011.

1. cindy leigh

cindy leigh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2009
    Our daughter is working on a Girl Scout Gold Award project, which is drawing on her love of her chickens, and linking up backyard chicken owners with programs providing food to those in need.

Her web site is under development, but is complete enough to get the message across:

www.erinseggs.com

Please take a look if you get a moment and give us any feedback here.

This project is starting out in southeastern CT, but we hope to link up those in need, with those with a few extra eggs, anywhere in the country eventually. She will offer training and start-up packets to organizations who want to participate in Erin's Eggs in their own communities.

She also hopes to spread the word about the value of backyard flocks, as being nutritious, sustainable, environmentally friendy, and contributing to self-sufficiency. She wants to promote understanding of humane treatment of chickens.

Thanks for your feedback!

Cindy

2. chickenpapa

chickenpapa New Egg

Feb 10, 2011
    Wow! This is a great program. It's really impressive that your daughter is doing this at such a young age. My backyard chicken keeping friends and I have talked about doing something similar here in Madison, WI. I'll post a link to erinseggs.com on my facebook page to help get the word out. I would seriously be interested in talking to you more about starting this program here. I'll try to talk to some folks and maybe PM you for more info soon.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  3. cindy leigh

Jun 24, 2009
    Quote:Thanks chicken papa. She will probably want to get one or two more local sites going to get the exprience, then branch out to other states. She's just at the beginning stages. But it's something she can even manage on line, from college next year. Thanks for looking, and showing such enthusiasm.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I have a feeling your daughter would have come up with this project even if it had nothing to do with a Girl Scout award. She is quite a young lady - how proud you must be. See how people can help others if they are allowed to keep chickens, etc. It benefits mankind without costing government one red penny.

5. cindy leigh

Jun 24, 2009
    Quote:Thank you, Diva, that's very kind of you.

6. cindy leigh

Jun 24, 2009
    Yay! She got her first local egg donor. We have to find a better term for that!!
    Ideas, anybody, on what to call people who give their extra eggs?

The web site is updated, too, with her full story.

7. cindy leigh

Jun 24, 2009
    Unfortunately we have discovered four inappropriate messages on our daughter's web site's email, originating from BYC. Please, to those people, know that as parents we monitor the site's email and do report the individuals to BYC administrators. So unfortunate that people would send inappropriate messages to someone working hard on a charitable effort!

8. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Cindy--as a former Girl Scout leader it makes me very happy to see the hard work and excellent website your daughter has created for her Gold award. She is a great example of what Girl Scouting is all about. While I do not have a troop now, I do know many leaders in this area and would like to see a similar program started in this area. Is Erin ready to branch out yet? So sorry to hear that she has had to deal with inappropriate people so soon. I am glad you reported them. Our girls deserve better and deserve more respect for all the hard work and dedication they put into themselves and their projects. Kudos to you Erin! [​IMG]

9. cindy leigh

Jun 24, 2009
    Quote:Thank you madsenaccord, I sent you a PM.

10. cindy leigh

Jun 24, 2009
    Looks like a second local supplier will be signing up- off to a great start!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by