Girl trouble... wait, make that Squirrel trouble!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by WhiteMountainsRanch, Jul 31, 2010.

1. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    So I posted a while back not knowing if the squirrels were hurting my chickens by living under the coop with them. That was answered as yes, they could bring diseases and worms. We tried scaring them away and we tried huge rat traps, both to no avail. I CANNOT sit out there with a gun for hours waiting for one to show itself. Yesterday I found THREE in the coop eating all my chickens food! I need to figure out how to deal with these things before I end up feeding the entire neighborhood of squirrels! How do I get rid of them!?!?

2. rhino123

rhino123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2009
    Manchester tn
    Try setting a squirell trap i had the problum with coons and set traps and seemed to work

3. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    dog

4. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:you know what to use for bait. southern states here has a sale on havaheart traps one of them is squirrel sized, most feed stores sell a squirrel sized havaheart . my brother had almost the same problem we flooded under the coop with a garden hose as they came out we dispatched them

5. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    squirrrels are pesky rodent....I use a dog and cat together... They have eaten 8 so far... The darn buggers steal eggs.

6. VioletBlueIvy

VioletBlueIvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    I had a really cute chipmunk getting into my coop, grab some feed and then come out and sit in this one spot on the edge of the front porch and eat it. He was cute and we enjoyed watching him. The cat got him....
    I see you rescue cats. Around here you can get cats from the shelters, rescues ect that are feral, and not able to be adopted as housepets, but they spay/neuter/vaccinate them and you can adopt them as outside cats as long as you have a barn, coop, garage ect for them to get in out of the weather. My mom adopted one like that, he looked a mess, and hated to be inside. Now he is a huge georgeous grey and white maine coon, and grew to be one of the most wonderful cats she has ever had. I have to mention, too, he controls the squirrel population at her house. He chases them right up and down the trees, he's quite athletic about it, and it's something to see!

7. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I have 2 dogs already, and they couldn't give a squirrels ass about chasing them... [​IMG]

We can't have cats outside here as the disappear in about .2 seconds because of the coyotes...

I forgot to mention I did try and flood out underneath the coop, and I don't believe the actually live under the coop anymore, just come inside to eat the food.

I guess I will try to buy one of those squirrel traps and see if I can catch them that way. Then maybe I can go dump them on the other side of the mountain... will that work?

*Edited to add: Holy cow the traps are like 30 bucks!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2010
  8. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    They didn't bother the chicken feed but were murder at the wild bird feeder, .22 Hollow Points and a 4X scope put an end to the problem.

9. rosiethechicken

rosiethechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    Quote:I have squirrels and chipmunks stealing chicken feed and bothering chickens.
    I live in NJ and called town about trapping. The lady tells me its against law to trap or get rid of squirrels in NJ.
    Is that true ?

10. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    Quote:I have squirrels and chipmunks stealing chicken feed and bothering chickens.
    I live in NJ and called town about trapping. The lady tells me its against law to trap or get rid of squirrels in NJ.
    Is that true ?

If that were true there wouldn't be a squirrel season. We have one in Jersey. Of course everything is prohibited in Jersey. People call exterminators all over the state to rid homes of all sorts of vermin, squirrels included. Just gid rid of your problem, mumms the word. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by