1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Girl with broken beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Leo1, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Leo1

Leo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Saco, Maine
    Not sure what to do. I'm not sure how she did it, but my girl Morgaine has managed to break her beak. I can't get a pic it won't really show up. However, it is broken about an 1/8 of an inch, maybe a little more, from the tip. Definitely above the tip that can be cut off. She seems to be able to eat but can't peck at anything hard (like and apple). I can't tell if it's in danger of falling off or not; I'm hesitant to investigate that any further. It does seem to be hurting her, but not a lot. She reacts if she bumps it, but no "I'm in pain" noises. Will it heal on it's own? What should I do? Do we go to the vet? Advice would be so appreciated!!!
    Thank you!

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I have not had a bird with a broken beak, but here is a link to a thread that is long but shows some really good pics of a rooster with a broken beak and what the rescuer did to repair it and how it healed.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=592958&p=3

I think she used a bit of tissue weight paper and some glue to help it heal. If you posted at the end of the thread with questions she would tell you how she did it so you don't have to read the whole thread.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    A break so close to the tip shouldn't be a problem, and honestly shouldn't really need any repair. The roo in the other thread had some terrible injuries that needed to be fixed to save the bird. He was a mess and could not have survived with the damage he had. Morgaine should be fine in time. I would just leave it and she will file it down on her own as the break grows out. The worst that may happen is she has a little shorter beak which shouldn't bother her. Trying to do any repair is going to be very stressful for her. Beaks are very sensitive. As long as she can eat and drink she'll be OK. She will definitely avoid pecking at anything in the near future, but pecking at something too zealously is probably what got her into this situation in the first place.

Good luck with her.

4. Leo1

Leo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Saco, Maine
    Thanks so much!! I read that whole other thread and it made me feel a little silly for worrying. There was a squirrel taunting them late yesterday which at one point sent them all fleeing to the other end of the run. I'm wondering if that's when it happened. I guess I'll just keep a eye to make sure she's eating OK, which she seems to be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by