Girls 17 wks today, what do you use for motivation?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dbounds10, Jul 5, 2011.

1. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    So I am thinking about removing the cardboard from the nest boxes towards the end of this week in hopes that someone will start laying soon. I have heard everything from golf balls to ceramic eggs for motivation.

What do you use and where did you buy it?

2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Me personally, I've found that a chicken can't resist hay. Good ol' fashioned hay (not straw). If you put hay in the nest boxes - and that's the only place they can get at hay - then all of or most of your eggs will be laid in the nest boxes, except for the occasional "emergency" egg, LOL. At least for me this has been true! [​IMG]

Also, wooden eggs work very well too, better than golf balls. Mine came from McMurray Hatchery.

3. swmalone

swmalone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    So how often do you change the hay that you put in the nest box. I was wondering if it good to have something different in nest boxes vs. the rest of the coop. I am hoping that golf balls will work for me.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Hays the ticket I've never changed just added.

5. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

I used a golf ball and that's all they needed to tell them where to lay. I have pine shavings in the nest box, just like in the rest of the coop.

6. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    I used fake plastic easter eggs, worked great. I have pine shavings in the box (same as the coop) and they don't seem to mind. By the way, my EE laid at 20 weeks, hopefully you are getting close! [​IMG]

7. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    Quote:Hey Bawk Bawk!!!

I also have pine shavings in my coop and in the nesting boxes. I also have some spanish moss, someone else on BYC said they used, and I just happened to find some at craft store that was closing. My question for you is....I have seen the chickens in the nest boxes, mostly the one with JUST pine shavings. I changed out the pine shavings today and the hens that are just about ready to lay,went right in, made 1 turn in the nesting boxes but went over to under the roost area and started digging holes and cooing....I have wooden eggs in the boxes, should I just see how it goes, or is there something else I can do to make sure they lay in the boxes and not under the roost area??

8. swmalone

swmalone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    I had put shredded paper in the nest box, but at the time they just played in it. I have since mixed the shredded paper and pine shavings and sealed the nest box off for a week or so. Mine will be 17 weeks soon and I have a buff orpington that has a big, bright red comb so I don't want to leave it sealed off for too long.

9. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    Around here hay is the favorite. With hens that are point of lay is still a maturity thing. When they are ready Mother nature kicks in and the hens naturally start checking out the boxes. I have never covered any up or kept a hen from doing whatever. The eggs just show up [​IMG] The hens will use shavings but the favorite boxes have hay inside. They arrange it, eat it and just want to park themselves in it and think about being a hen.

10. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by