1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

girls are making mess

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BigBen, Apr 16, 2012.

1. BigBen

BigBen Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Smithfield,RI
    I have one of those galvanized hanging feeders. it holds like 30 lbs or somewhere around there. the hens keep pulling all there layer pellets out. there are pounds of there food on the floor.
    I thought maybe the feeder was to low so I moved it higher and I think it got even worse.
    Has anyone else encountered such a problem.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    First, I'd quit feeding them until they clean up the feed on the floor. They can eat off the ground quite nicely, it's not mean or irresponsible. They are made to eat off the ground and honestly don't know the difference. I fill my feeder six days a week and skip a day to encourage them to clean up the waste.

How high do you have your feeder? I like to keep mine where the have to stretch a little to reach the food.

You can try putting an old cookie sheet or similar under it to catch the spilled feed and pour it back in.

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Can we have a picture of the feeder as it sits? I have an idea.....

4. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

5. BigBen

BigBen Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Smithfield,RI
    I'll take one tomorow and post it. Thanks

6. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    That's one reason why we ditched that type of feeder ad built a PVC feeder that they have to partially stick their heads in to eat from. No more food flinging and messes and so much less waste.

But yes, that is absolutely normal. Chickens are slobs when they eat. [​IMG]

Try a different type of feeder; one that doesn't allow the food to go sailing across your property when they scratch and flick with their beaks. That's pretty much the only way to stop them from doing that.

7. vickiw

vickiw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Hi Reddrgn[​IMG]
    any chance you could post a pic of your PVC feeder? would love to see what you did!

8. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Yep, I just have to take one and then I'll do that. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by