1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Girls are not laying

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hebegray, Aug 12, 2017.

1. hebegray

hebegray In the Brooder

Oct 7, 2016
    Durham NC
    I have eight hens, no roosters. Seven of them are not quite a year old. The eighth one is about five or six months old. The youngest one is not laying yet, and the other seven have really slowed down – they went from six or seven a day to three a day. I'm laid up with an injury, so I can't get to them to tell if they are losing feathers. I have someone taking care of them for me, but I'm not sure he knows what to look for. Are they too young to molt? is there something else that could be causing them to not lay? This started about three weeks ago while I was traveling. I came back, had an accident, and I've been incapacitated for a week and a half. Could they just be mad at me? Any thoughts? I thought they didn't start to mold until they were over-year-old i.e. 14 to 18 months. I know they have not been getting their regular yogurt treats since I've been out of commission . Could that be part of the problem?

2. hebegray

hebegray In the Brooder

Oct 7, 2016
    Durham NC
    I apologize for the typos – I'm having to dictate on my iPad and spellcheck is not always my friend LOL

3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Songster

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Its getting closer and closer to winter so its normal there not laying.My flocks egg production has dropped dramatically.Pullets usually dont molt but it is possible.Are you providing them with clean fresh water as well as food?

4. hebegray

hebegray In the Brooder

Oct 7, 2016
    Durham NC
    They are getting clean water, food, and simple treats like scratch and meal worms. I live in North Carolina, it's still 90° and winter is nowhere in sight. Because the person who is looking after them for me comes to open up in the morning and to put them back in the coop at night, and it's usually before I get up in the morning, they're not getting their fresh food treats – or at least not very often. I'm wondering if that has something to do with it . I think I may need to figure a way. I think I may need to figure out a way to make that happen. It will be at least six weeks before I can interact with them.

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    holy moly, you must have had a wreck. Might be the heat, who knows, might be they are upset with the stranger taking care of them. I would not worry too much. They do go through swings.

6. hebegray

hebegray In the Brooder

Oct 7, 2016
    Durham NC
    I had a very bad freak fall and broke my right shoulder in four places. of course I am right-handed, so that arm has to be completely immobilized for six weeks. They're also being very careful that I don't do anything that might make me trip and fall again, such as walking around in my hilly backyard where my chicken coop is. I didn't trip on anything – I stubbed my toe on the bedroom rug and landed on the floor and slid 10 feet. Very very Bizzarre. Right now I'm just worried about my girls. We're going to try getting their yogurt and veg treats to them every morning and see if that helps.

7. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Oh, you poor thing. A year ago, I had my knee done, and really until then, I did not understand pain. You poor thing!

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    Aw, so sorry about the accident. Your chickens lack of laying may be because of the daylight hours decreasing. Certain breeds will cut back on egg production this time of year.

9. hebegray

hebegray In the Brooder

Oct 7, 2016
    Durham NC
    Knee was two years ago!

10. hebegray

hebegray In the Brooder

Oct 7, 2016
    Durham NC
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by