Girls are picky about their food!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bannerdb, Oct 1, 2011.

1. bannerdb

bannerdb Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Donegal, Ireland
    I just changed from mash to pellets. I wanted to get a mash with a higher protein content, but couldnt source one, so I went to pellets which had a 16.5% content, as opposed to the 15.5% content fo the mash. However, my hens are just turning their nose up at it. They come running over like crazy when they see me coming with the feet bucket, but just walk away in disgust when they see that it's pellets in there. [​IMG]

Has anyone got any advice. I don't want them going hungry. Has anyone else experienced this? Will they eat it eventually if I just leave it there?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Mine are the same way but they won't starve.
    Just give the pellets a few days with no treats and they'll get used to them.

3. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Give them a couple of days, they will come around. I've never had chickens to starve themselves because of the switch. A hungry chicken will eat.

4. bannerdb

Jul 16, 2011
    Donegal, Ireland
    Phew! Thanks guys. Have you ever noticed an effect on egg laying by switching feeds?

5. Jean&Mark

Jean&Mark New Egg

Apr 22, 2011
    Good topic! We just switched to pellets 3 days ago, and our hens are not eating them either. Good to know they will eat it eventually. Thank you!

6. bannerdb

Jul 16, 2011
    Donegal, Ireland
    Jean&Mark :

Good topic! We just switched to pellets 3 days ago, and our hens are not eating them either. Good to know they will eat it eventually. Thank you!

Hi Jean and Mark. I'm relieved also. Did your girls stop laying at all after you switched?​

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I bought some laying pellets this week and just put 2 large scoops of the layer on top of the starter that was in the feeder. These chickens haven't missed a beat. Dug right in. I feel I'm really lucky to not have had a problem.

8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Any change of feed allways putt's them off for a few day's, they will eat it when they get hungry and if one starts to eat the others will jump on the band wagon. You have to understand chickens are creatures of habit and prefer a routine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by