Girls aren't laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Heatherschicks1, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Heatherschicks1

Heatherschicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2014
    I have about 16 chickens that for the past few months gave me each an egg every day give or take a few. The were free range on my 20ac property till about a week ago when I started keeping them in the coop and the run because it's getting colder and predators have been on the property more often as it's getting colder. Now they have almost stopped laying?? I get one maybe at most 3 a day there feed is full have a heater for the water.. Even put a few squares of hay in with them.. But still not really laying.. Any ideas or advice?

2. Heatherschicks1

Nov 18, 2014
    I also will note I redid the coop and put new plastic boxes in there nesting box ares because they can be messy girls and there eggs were always covered in poop from them they also were trying to roost in the boxes at night. When there coop was changed I think is also around the time they stopped laying. There are no eggs in the run or the roost so they are just not laying.

3. mrchicks

mrchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Any type of change or stress will throw them off. They also slow down in winter, and when they molt.

4. Heatherschicks1

Nov 18, 2014
    Could it be that they don't like the boxes or the stress from the being confined to the run and coop along with the boxes and change of weather.. What could I do for them to help? Not only to possibly help with eggs production but to help with the stress of the flock

5. mrchicks

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    It's probably a combination of all of the above. They will settle in and get used to the new boxes and run. Just be patient with them. When I swapped birds from one coop to another, they went on strike for around 2 weeks.

6. Heatherschicks1

Nov 18, 2014
    Okay thank you!! We will see what happens

7. mrchicks

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    You're welcome.

It gets frustrating, waiting. And waiting......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by