Girls awake way before dawn?

jeepgrrl

Songster
Feb 25, 2017
North Central Ohio
Hi everyone! I have a 7-month old pullet (NH Red) that was a lone survivor of her previous flock; my neighbor gave her to me when she was about 6 weeks old. Anyway, last week when I went out at 4:45am to open up the coop before going to work, Red and her flockmate, Chops, were awake and in the chicken run having breakfast (the feeder and waterer are kept in the run, the coop opens into the run). This happened again a few days later when I had to go into work. I’m more curious than anything...is this normal for hens to be off the roost 2-3 hours before dawn? Until Lil Red came to live with us, I would always cause the girls to stir from their sleep when I opened the coop before leaving for work. I’m not at all worried they are awake and eating, as they are totally safe locked in the run, but Red is probably my most active hen (after the Guinea) so maybe she just needs less sleep? And the nights are still getting longer...

I guess around here the Roos don’t wake up until well after we have left for work, lol! It’s just odd to see her up so early, ready to start her day. And she’s one of the last in the coop at night. I think the other hens and guinea aren’t too thrilled with the “early riser”, but at least she’s getting first dibs on the feed; she’s at the very bottom of the pecking order, but I see that changing next spring.

Back
Top Bottom