1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Girls being rough with broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Snownoir, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Snownoir

Snownoir Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    Arlington Texas
    So Charlotte was attacked by my puppy 2 weeks ago. He pulled some feathers on her back and I think did something to her throat because she doesn't cluck the same. In fact, she's never been the same. She used to be boss lady, the most curious, would approach me first to see what treats I had. Now she stays way back. I was in Houston when this happened (I live in Arlington). A few days later, when I got back, I noticed I never saw her. She would stay in the coop. A lot. Then she never left and would sit on the eggs at night. She also stopped laying, a result I'm assuming of growing feathers back, she's now the broody girl. I grabbed some fertilized eggs from my neighbor, layed 4/4. When changing the water next to her on the coop today (I have a bowl of food and water right next to her in the coop), she got flighty and ran out the coop, ran through the run, and ran to the other two girls. Lol, it was hilarious. :D But then, Jane & Beatrix started to chase her and peck at her. :/ I've never seen this behavior. I'm assuming she's dropped ranks significantly, but should I be concerned? They were even trying to keep her from some scratch on the ground. Should I be concerned? Well they hurt her? If those eggs hatch, will they hurt the chicks?

Thanks peeps!

Oh, they've been together their whole lives and were just over a year in january.

2. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, yes she's been moved down the ranks significantly. You can segregate her until she's back to her usual self I suppose? The other hens can force her off her eggs if she's low down in command and can also kill chicks. I'd segregate her and her eggs and see what happens in a month or two once her chicks are a nice size and then try incorporating her back into the flock.

3. Snownoir

Snownoir Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    Arlington Texas
    Thank you Kelly. One of the eggs have hatched! The other girls calmed down. I don't know what to do about things now... She also ate an egg...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by