1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Girls can crow... right?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by vickichicki, Aug 25, 2013.

1. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    While my sister is visiting she told me one of my little ones made a sound like a crow, not like my LF rooster, but a tragic attempt at a crow.

While I am confident I have all girls, it now has me questioning their sex.

Do I indeed have a girl who is having a gender crisis? The two splash and buff are 20 weeks the barred and porcelain are 26 weeks.

[​IMG] 1.

[​IMG] 2.

[​IMG] 3.

[​IMG] 4. Had a single mysterious tiny egg I think is hers. Had a mille fleur the same age obvious rooster at 10 weeks so I am confident she is a girl.

[​IMG] 5. I have eggs from this one, so 100% girl

Who is the secret crowee?

2. ellie32526

ellie32526 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2012
    North Texas
    Having not heard the sounds myself, it is hard to say what was classified as a crow, however, hens make a variety of sounds and I have been told that sometimes in the absence of a roo, a hen will mimick the sounds and actions of a rooster. It may be possible that you have a slow developing rooster if you are not 100% sure they are all hens. I would say, wait and see.

3. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    It did coincide with my rooster (in another pen) crowing. Which, from having several roosters at one time seems to be the style... 'oh.. he is crowing, why don't I?'

I recently removed three known roosters from the 'girls' within a month or so. Maybe someone is stepping up to the plate.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I see all pullets.
    Is your sis a chicken person? Would she know the difference between a young rooster crowing and a hen vocalizing? My hens can be VERY noisy at times.

5. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Yes hens can crow. Usually it is the one at the top of the pecking order in the absence of a rooster.

6. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
  7. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Firstly, no my sister is not a chicken girl, nor anything remotely outdoorish either. However with a rooster onsite she said it sounded like my big guy.

As I am fairly certain I have all girls this made me question myself. Not sure what it is but I can see everyone else's roosters except my own. Maybe it's denial.

Thanks for sharing the crowing video, guess the old 'wait for either and egg or a crow' does not always apply.

Appreciate the help as always [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by