Girls didn't tuck themselves in tonight?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickHotel, Jun 22, 2010.

1. ChickHotel

ChickHotel New Egg

Mar 15, 2010
    Nampa, ID
    Strange night tonight. It is summer solstice and my 18wk girls were making a bunch of racket by my kitchen window earlier this evening (this is usually their way of telling me they are hungry for a snack). But even after I fed them, they kept making a fuss. Finally quieted down as the sun was setting so I assumed they headed to the other side of the yard where their coop is (as they have every night since they were 9wks old). When I went out to lock up their coop a while ago I noticed they were all cuddled up by the kitchen window still. I actually had to carry them each over to bed. Once in the coop I noticed a ton of little earwigs (mostly in the run, but a few in the coop too) that were not there this morning. Is this why my girls caused such a fuss? Should I be concerned about this infestation?

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    wow, very interesting. Sounds like something frightened them. By the way................. [​IMG] from Missouri

3. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Getting pinched by an earwig is no fun! We've had a lot of them this year, too, mostly in our hay bale.

Luckily, my girls don't worry about no steenkin' earwigs... they just eat 'em. The only insects I've seen them not eat is ants.

Just keep an eye on the earwig situation. They most likely would just eat them, but you never know. I'm discovering that chickens are like people... some are easier to please than others. [​IMG]

There's also the fact that it's summer solstice & the sun didn't set until well after 9 p.m. tonight. That might have been what kept them out later.

Keep us posted & let us know how it goes. It was hopefully just one of those things. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  4. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    check for a snake in your chicken house.

Micah

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by