Girls enjoying some watermelon!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by WillnGina, Jul 28, 2010.

1. WillnGina

WillnGina Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2010
    Tampa Area
    We have 2 Welsummers, 2 Jersey Giants, 1 Australorp and 1 Sex-Link all approx. 12 weeks old

2. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    They are adorable and they sure look like they are enjoying that watermelon. Do they eat the white part, too? My mother engrained in my brain [​IMG] that I should never eat the white part so I'm not sure if it would give the chickens diarreaha also.

This spring I tried hatching some wellsummers but none of that breed hatched [​IMG]. Well, there is always next year.

3. WillnGina

WillnGina Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2010
    Tampa Area
    They eat it down to about 1/4" left on the skin usually. The Welsummers are great birds so far, I can't wait til they start laying!

4. GAGE

GAGE Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    GA
    The only thing I have found so far that rivals watermelon, is uncooked corn on the cob, our chickens love it!

5. littlethorn

littlethorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:Mine love this too! I tie a cord around the stem part and hang it from the ceiling of the run just like people hang cabbages. They love to jump and peck at it.

6. Carpe DiHen

Carpe DiHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    That's so cute you left it on the plate! Presentation is so important! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by