Girls first experience in rain!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by henney, Aug 19, 2008.

1. henney

henney Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    Reno Nevada
    I have RIR pullets. There run is partly covered and they are still getting wet. Will they catch cold if they don't dry off? They have access to go in their hen house. I live in Vancouver Wa and it's 61 degrees.[​IMG]

2. bkterry

bkterry Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2008
    my chickens free range and they love to run around in the rain. i always leave the coop open incase they want to stay covered, but they don't mind getting wet esp. when it means lots of worms to be eaten! i've never had any get sick after rain. i'd let just make sure they have access to a dry area just in case.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They'll be fine. When they get to be old hens they won't run in the rain as much. Younger ones always like to get into mud. Go figure. I'm north of you and they do fine in 40 F rain. Broody hen took her chick out on their first adventure at 3 days old when it was in the low 40s and they were running around in the rain. Ironic how we baby them so much and the mother hen looks at the grey sky and goes off 200 feet from the coop though wet grass and all. Chick grew up fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by