Girls' first night in coop...empty nest :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by epeloquin, May 21, 2011.

1. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Our girls (3BR and 3RIR) are spending their first night in their coop. They're 4 1/2 weeks old and feathered out. They've been really ourgrowing their brooder. I took them for some 'free range' time today and decided to let them stay. We were going to wait until next week because I still don't have my permit from the city but I hadn't seen the chicken police patrol around much so we decided to go with it. We'll get the permit next week still.

It's a little more difficult because they are a couple blocks away. I live in a condo with my wife and kids so my garden and coop is at my father's (where I grew up) which is a couple blocks away. So, there is no checking on them until the morning.

I don't really have any questions or advice. I guess this is just a support group kind of thing...as I sit here, forlorn...pining away....*deep sign*[​IMG]

2. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

As a slick man from Arkansas once said, "I feel yer pain". I told DH, if we ever build a house, we'll have to build the coop into the side of the house so I can always mosey down the hall and be with my babies -- will never have empty nest syndrome.

Really tough that the girls are up the road. I don't know about you but I hear phantom chick chirping...*straining to hear it in the silent night* when they're out of the house.

Just think how happy the reunion will be tomorrow morning! [​IMG][​IMG]

Could you set up a webcam to keep an eye on them? [​IMG]

3. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] I heard phantom chirping the first night and the second and the third.

4. epeloquin

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    That is too funny!! [​IMG]

I can't tell you how many times tonight I thought I heard the chicks peeping!! [​IMG]

5. tylersmum

tylersmum Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2010
    Maine
    Seriously?! I felt foolish that I kept hearing the girls in the other room after they had flown the coop.. err brooder! Phantom Chirping! Glad to know I'm not the only one. [​IMG]

6. fifenashia

fifenashia Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Eastern Kentucky
    I like the idea of the webcam. [​IMG]

I took my injured duck and her surviving hen sister out to the coop last night after having them in the "sick bay AKA Spare room" for 4 nights and I missed them fierce! Now I have some chicks in there, in the brooder and although I look forward to having them all together, i do not want to think about empty nest [​IMG] Raising babies is s hard!!

7. epeloquin

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Quote:No kidding! Too funny!!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by