Girls' first night in coop...empty nest :(

epeloquin

Songster
8 Years
Mar 11, 2011
Western Massachusetts
Our girls (3BR and 3RIR) are spending their first night in their coop. They're 4 1/2 weeks old and feathered out. They've been really ourgrowing their brooder. I took them for some 'free range' time today and decided to let them stay. We were going to wait until next week because I still don't have my permit from the city but I hadn't seen the chicken police patrol around much so we decided to go with it. We'll get the permit next week still.

It's a little more difficult because they are a couple blocks away. I live in a condo with my wife and kids so my garden and coop is at my father's (where I grew up) which is a couple blocks away. So, there is no checking on them until the morning.

I don't really have any questions or advice. I guess this is just a support group kind of thing...as I sit here, forlorn...pining away....*deep sign*
idunno.gif

As a slick man from Arkansas once said, "I feel yer pain". I told DH, if we ever build a house, we'll have to build the coop into the side of the house so I can always mosey down the hall and be with my babies -- will never have empty nest syndrome.

Really tough that the girls are up the road. I don't know about you but I hear phantom chick chirping...*straining to hear it in the silent night* when they're out of the house.

Just think how happy the reunion will be tomorrow morning!
wee.gif
D.gif

Could you set up a webcam to keep an eye on them?
caf.gif

Seriously?! I felt foolish that I kept hearing the girls in the other room after they had flown the coop.. err brooder! Phantom Chirping! Glad to know I'm not the only one.
big_smile.png

I like the idea of the webcam.
big_smile.png

I took my injured duck and her surviving hen sister out to the coop last night after having them in the "sick bay AKA Spare room" for 4 nights and I missed them fierce! Now I have some chicks in there, in the brooder and although I look forward to having them all together, i do not want to think about empty nest
sad.png
Raising babies is s hard!!

Back
Top Bottom