Girls first night in the coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hmasto, Apr 15, 2017.

1. hmasto

hmasto Just Hatched

Mar 28, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Yesterday was my hens first night in the coop. I went up to check on them at dark and they hadn't gone in the coop yet. I put them in myself. Thismorning the coop door opened at 6:30 and now they haven't figured how to get out, they walk to the coop door and look out but don't go down the ramp. Is this something that just takes them time? Should I just leave them and let them figure it out? I am new too the chicken world.

Thanks!

2. Lucyluvchickens

Lucyluvchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2017
    Dripping Springs, Texas
    I would just let them take their time. Maybe pick a specific time at night and shuve them all in and close the door. Honestly, I always have chickens when new ones come, so they just follow them in so I never really had that problem.

Sorry lol I don't really know what to say about that

3. HeavensHens88

HeavensHens88 Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2015
    Totality lost it.
    They'll figure it out. ;) Once they realize how totally delicious and tempting the lush grass looks... :lol:
    If they're still in there later, is there a favorite treat of theirs you could place outside in their line of view? That should undoubtedly bring them out!
    If all else fails, and they still haven't gone out, you may have to indeed bring them out this first day.
    :jumpy Wings of Wishes and Happy Easter, :jumpy
    ~Sarah

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  4. hmasto

hmasto Just Hatched

Mar 28, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Thank you, they had to be coaxed out with cheerios [​IMG] I figure it will take a couple days. Thanks for the advise

5. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    It'll take a little while to develop a routine. The first few days they won't know if they should be in or out, where they should sleep, where the best hang out spots are, etc. Don't be afraid to bribe them with treats, but also don't be surprised if they just seem more comfortable sticking in one spot or another. They'll figure it out eventually.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by