Girls' (first) Night Out

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mrsbernstein, May 22, 2010.

1. mrsbernstein

mrsbernstein New Egg

Apr 3, 2010
    My little flock (5 'lorps, 5 Silver Laced Wyandottes) spent their first night in the coop last night. (They're 9 weeks old...) They seemed to be a little freaked out by the dark ---or maybe it was just the unfamiliar surroundings? It's quite warm out, so I know that's not the problem. They spent the night huddled in the corner, seeming dazed and very, very quiet. They were fine this morning, though, and spent the day foraging in the run (don't ask what fun it was to introduce them to the gangplank...in either direction!) When I went out to check on them at dusk, they were huddled in the corner of the run, doing the very quiet thing again. We had to pick them up and put them inside, and they immediately resumed their Silent Chicken bit. Anyone? Shall I give them a night light?

Wendy
    6 kids, 10 chickens, and 1 VERY patient husband!
    www.littlegreenbums.blogspot.com

2. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    A little bit of light in the coop may help you to train them to go back in at night. They will learn eventually!

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

A small W light in the coop goes far in training them to go in on their own each evening as it darkens outside...You don't have to leave the light on all night. Turn if off when you go do a head count and shut their pop door. Within a month they will be doing it without the light...although I do keep a nightlight on in my coop at night because I've read that it helps deter nighttime predators.

4. njyckns

njyckns New Egg

May 17, 2010
    Rock Hill
    They'll get the picture i had the same deal i put them to bed three nights then i held a flashlight on the roost and they all hopped up did this for two nights and they now roost by themselves

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by