girls flying the coop! please help! can i clip thier wings yet?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jkioneil, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Jkioneil

Jkioneil Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon
    so my youngest additions to the backyard flock are a wild buch led by the crazy EE known as Amy Winehouse (should have known she'd be leading the others astray). there is a space between the neighbors fence and mine and she led them through and out the yard and into the alley behind our home... she was headed into the garden the neighbor behind us has. we chased them down and put them in the coop and that AMY just flew right up and over the fence. the others were talking about it but i knew at once that this is only the begining of her nafarious plans to attack the neighbors garden and get me in trouble!!! urg... So i was wondering if any odf you could tell me how old they can be to get their wings clipped? these girls are 7.5 weeks fully feathered and outside runing a muck! i can not afford to build a new fence I have filled the space they went through but the over the fence flying will not do and there is nothing i can do about that. except clip the wings and then pray. all our other girls simply stay in the yard our older ladies have o intrest in leaving at all. it is that crazy EE and her followers 4 of them in all that worry me. [​IMG] thanks

the short of it. can i clip my 7.5 week old pullets wings?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  2. Casey3043

Casey3043 Chillin' With My Peeps

You knew she was going to be a wild girl, the little devil! I don't see why you can't clip their wings if you need to in order to keep them at home.

Good luck with it. I've never done it, but there are good instructions on this website.

Just looking at your sig line--what a nice family you have! I had four boys, but never got a little girl. I do have two granddaughters, however.

[​IMG]

3. Jkioneil

Jkioneil Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon
    thanks! i will do it right now!!!

thank you! it is a busy home for sure. i bet your grandaughters make up for not having girls yourself. i know my mom just loves the grandchildren. i was the only girl in my home growing up surrounded by boys. my daughters have the same fate. [​IMG] i think my mom always wanted more girls but the boys kept coming lol. she is very close to all the kiddos but i think she is glad there are two girls in the mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by