Girls Gone Broody !!!! Pics.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Struttn1, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    After working all weekend I went out to find two of my hens have decided to go broody. [​IMG]

Here is my Bourbon Red who gets very puffy when her nest is approached.

[​IMG]

And here is a pick of my Royal Palm sitting her first nest. I also was able to snap a pic of her nest when she left the pen to relieve herself and pluck some green grass and clover for a few minutes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    [​IMG] Very exciting!!! [​IMG] So how long will it take for the eggs to hatch, I'm new with all this... my chickies are only going to be 3 weeks old Wed.

3. Struttn1

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    28 days for turkeys and by the way your guinea eggs also take 28 days.

4. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Congratulations!

I see your hens do what my RBs do, which is sit with their head in the dark part of the nest and let their tail at the opening. I would think that would make them vulnerable and they'd rather sit with their head at the opening. I have one hen who laid a nest squeezed in between a wall and a box with her head totally back in in the corner. Just seems weird. Do you have any idea why they do that?

I have one who just started setting this week. The other two that had been setting (on the same nest) for 2 weeks just left it. I checked and all the eggs were gone or broken. I don't know what happened, but I'm hoping they start new nests right away.

5. Struttn1

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    last year the BR hen would face different directions. This is the first day I have observed her this year but I will make a point to study which position she seems to use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by