Girl's Grass Box

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SandyK, May 11, 2010.

1. SandyK

SandyK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    Here's a picture of the box DH made for me to grow grass in during the months when the girls aren't allowed in the yard to free range. I have too many flower beds and a garden for them to run through. Late summer I usually give in and let them out while I'm outside with them to keep a "hawk" eye on them so nothing gets them. The box has worked wonderful and it's the first place they check every morning. Now I've also thrown some of the rye grass seed along the fence border to give me easy access to more to pull and throw to them. The box is about 8 feet long and 1 1/2 feet wide I think. The poultry fencing on top keeps them from killing it.

[​IMG]

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Clever idea. Well done.

3. skott

skott New Egg

May 12, 2010
    Very clever indeed. And if those boxes were set on tables or simply given legs (depending how it's supported below), you effectively increase the square footage in your run, provide new roosting spots, and provide extra shade. I like it. [​IMG]

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Great idea! I'm going to have to borrow it! Thanks.

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Nice job! Your chickens look very happy!

6. jBlaze

jBlaze Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Oregon
    Way Cool! Thanks for sharing!

7. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    I like this idea a lot. Mine if I steal it? [​IMG]

8. SandyK

SandyK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    It's yours Jess! I actually am growing the grass right in the ground below the box. Took some of my good compost and worked it in the soil, used the rye grass seed which comes up very fast and it has been there growing since the end of March probably. I thought it would die out and I would have to reseed. Not so far.

9. Eberak

Eberak Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    Tacoma
    So did you place the poultry netting on top of the soil or on top of the box? I love this idea and am thinking I will do it myself.

10. St-Hubert

St-Hubert Chicken Convert

Apr 6, 2010
    Anniston, AL
    That's brilliant. [​IMG]
    I might be one of those that also 'borrows' this idea. Our chickens aren't free-range at all (far too many dangerous things out there that would see them as lunch), and I have been trying to give them chunks of sod to play with....but this is a really good idea!

Thank you for sharing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by