Girls had their first taste of danger (mild) today

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MakNugget, Jul 13, 2010.

1. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I was sitting in the run watching the girls do their thing until one started sounding an alert, stretching her neck looking past me. The other two froze with the same neck stretch with their head to the side. It looked so weird seeing their neck that long!

I heard some crunching behind me but couldn't make it out from the ambient noise, but I was more concerned whether or not they were going to flip out. Turns out it was a semi friendly stray cat walking by along the fence and it stopped at the door and wanted in for some human interaction, but also had that semi crazy look for potential kill. The girls were like a statue, LOL.

After the cat tried to move closer to the door I had to throw a pebble at the HW cloth and it ran away.

They resumed their normal routine of chiicken keepaway after it was out if sight but it's nice to know they are paying attention.

2. catfish/okie

catfish/okie Chillin' With My Peeps

Thats good for them. I have a hen that seems to be more alert than the rest. She seems to look up way better than my other 3. She spots hawks very quickly she sounds the alarm and they all take cover. The neighbors all around have dogs and that seems to deter land predators such as possums, coons, and cats pretty well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by