Girls have stopped laying :( not sure why

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by davekrista, Aug 14, 2010.

1. davekrista

davekrista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    We have 7 RIR and 5 EE's. All the EE's and 1 of the RIR were born in March 2010 so about 5 months old, and the other 6 RIR we were told are a few years old. We've had them since may. For the past few months we've been getting 2-3 large brown eggs a day from the RIR and 1 green/blue egg a day from 1 of the EE's. And a tiny brown egg every once in a while, not sure from who. The past couple weeks we've only gotten 1 large brown egg, and sometimes 0 and the EE hasn't laid in 2 going on 3 weeks now. We gradually switched from the layer mash, to the layer pellets. We change their water atleast 2x a day sometimes more. We seldom give treats, and haven't given any scratch or corn. We break up their egg shells and give it to them. Here in MA the weather is cooling off some, getting cool at night and warm during the day, but hasn't been overly hot.

Is there something wrong with the girls, is that why they have pretty much stopped laying? Or should I be doing something differently to get their egg production back up? I'm confused as to why they have stopped laying, please help?
    Krista

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    How many roosters do you have?

Have you made any other changes ? ? ?

Are they missing feathers or looking different or acting different ? ? ?

Could you have a predator - - snake, etc sliding in taking the eggs ? ?

How frequently do you look for eggs and when do you collect them ? ?

Are you free ranging or confined raising the chickens ? ?

3. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I have always been told never to give them their own shells back as it can cause them to eat the eggs. Just a thought.

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Are they molting? How hot is it there?

5. u8sushi

u8sushi Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    bath
    Check for mold in your feed. Some types of mold mimic homones that can stop a chicken from laying eggs. Its a long shot. Good luck

6. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    I think it may be that they are getting ready to molt- I have been reading alot of BYCers that sell their fertile hatching egg saying their chickens are slowing way down, preparing to molt. Of course, that wouldnt explain your pullets not laying...hmmm, that is a mystery! [​IMG]
    If you're free-ranging them at all, they will hide their eggs all over. I never let mine free range during the day until I've gotten at least 5 eggs. After that, I let them out of the run.

7. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I wonder if any of this year's hatch were laying at all? Could that blue/green egg come from the older ones? My EE March hatch is just getting to POL. Your older ones may be molting. How do they look? Are feathers flying all over?

8. davekrista

davekrista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    Math Ace - We have 0 roosters, and they are confined. We have a shed that we converted to a coop. I am on my way out but I will take pics later on and post them. They have a pretty big area. And I have NOT seen any evidence of any snakes or anything, but I suppose its always possible. They are not missing any feathers or acting any differently, which is why I am so confused. My kids love to go looking for eggs, so they bug me to take them out to look, so we're out there like every hour, sometimes every 2 hours. So we're out there quite a bit. Other than the gradual food change, nothing else has changed.

Mrs Fluffy Puffy - They don't seem to be missing any feathers. Its pretty cool here. Temps are dropping at night and during the day its pretty mild with no humidity.

u8sushi - how do i tell if mold is in the feed? Will I actually be able to see it? We usually buy a 50lb bag and it stays dry. We don't stock up and let it sit around. But I will check and see if I can see it.

9. digger455

digger455 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    I am new to this chicken thing, but mine quit too for about the last week or so. I did about the same as what you are doing. I was in wall mart yesterday and they had a servalance camera on sale. I got it and set up last night. I was watching it from the house this morning and not going in there until it looked like someone layed one. Out I went, 2 so far this morning. It may not tomorrow but I thought it was worth a try.

Digger

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    You dsif you switched their feed? If so I bet that's what has messed them up! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by