Girls in the coop overnight

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sharol, Aug 10, 2010.

1. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Well, I left my 4 week olds outside in the coop last night. I had a heck of a time getting them in the coop from the run at dark, but locked them down about the time the sun went down. They completely panicked. They were chirping and fussing so loud I could hear them 30 yards away at the porch. My DH said to give them a little time, and in an hour they had all settled in and were quietly cheeping to each other. Of course I worried about them all night and didn't sleep worth a darn. Of course they were fine this morning.

I decided to leave them out because the overnight temp was going to stay around 80, and the brooder is simply too small for 7 active 4 week olds.

The temp is 99 right now and it is only 2:45, so I'm providing them with cooling wading pools every couple of hours. A friend gave me some covers for stove burners that have roosters painted on them, and I turn them upside down and fill them with water and a few ice cubes. I did that yesterday (same temp then) and they caught on in a flash. I also put a plastic bottle with frozen water in the run area and wet down part of the grass. They are alternately scratching the newly damp areas and wading in the ice water. I caught one standing on the icy water bottle.

My Welsummer (who has been really standoffish) flew up to my shoulder when I was in the run today (sitting down playing with them). That is a huge step for her, and even the GLW, who has been as skeptical as any of the chicks about being held, was glad to see me.

I am so ready for fall. (Last winter after a week of being snowed into the house, I was so ready for summer). I choose to live in Kansas, I choose to live in Kansas, I choose to live in Kansas (repeated continually).

2. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

I move away from Tennessee every now and then, but I always come back. There seems to be just ONE place that your heart calls home.

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Sounds like they're all pretty spoiled ... [​IMG]

4. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    What!!! Me spoil a pet? er chicken? Only a little. It is 101 here right now at 1 pm and they have had two refreshes of their foot bath and a watermellon rind so far. They don't seem over heated (no panting or holding their wings out) and they are hunkered down on the damp areas I made for them. Just keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't get much hotter.

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Sounds like they're all pretty spoiled ... [​IMG]

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:
    Ha ha! [​IMG]

6. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Hmmmm....footbath is sounding pretty good in the noonday heat...Thinking all about me though [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by