Girls laying under roost!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Newchickenwoman, Oct 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Newchickenwoman

Newchickenwoman In the Brooder

Sep 15, 2017
    Peak District, UK
    All four of my girls insist on laying under the roost, right in the poo! I keep their house clean and they have lots of bedding but even so,I'd much prefer them to lay in their nest boxes (which are spotless and have loads of soft bedding). However, so far they haven't shown any sign of interest in the nest boxes, though they like to inspect them when I clean the house :) I collect the eggs at least twice a day and I've bought some fake (rubber) eggs and put those in the nest boxes in the hope that they'll take the hint but no luck yet. Will they get the idea eventually do you think or is there something else I can do to encourage them to be more hygienic in their laying habits?!

MrsChicky55 likes this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Can you temporarily block their access to the under roost area with wire netting ?

3. Farmgal101

Farmgal101 Songster

May 29, 2017
    This has happened to me before what i did was i got 30 fake eggs a put them in where I wanted them to lay there eggs they imminently started laying on the top.i even had one that became broody.

4. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Enabler

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Which side of the coop is darker?

If the boxes are to bright you may want to look into adding curtains.

sourland likes this.
  5. Newchickenwoman

Sep 15, 2017
    Peak District, UK
    Thanks for replying. I'm not sure - but I can try! I'll keep you posted.

chickens really likes this.
  6. Newchickenwoman

Sep 15, 2017
    Peak District, UK
    Thanks for replying. I put the fake eggs in the nest boxes a few days ago but no luck yet - they're still laying under the roost!

7. Newchickenwoman

Sep 15, 2017
    Peak District, UK
    Thanks for replying. It's a small hen house and the main part (with the roost) is brighter than the nest boxes because of the location of the pop-hole. You'd have thought they'd prefer laying in a nice clean, comfy nest box to a pile of poo!

8. Photokitty

Photokitty Chirping

Jul 6, 2017
    Marlinton, West Virginia
    I have two that lay out of the nesting boxes under the roosts. I put a nesting box there (I have cat litter pails so I can move them) with a fake egg and they laid next to it. I just add fresh bedding every morning to that one spot. The other 45 lay in the boxes.

9. Newchickenwoman

Sep 15, 2017
    Peak District, UK
    Hmm, interesting ... so if I were to put a nest box under the roost, presumably it would need a lid so the poo couldn't land in it?

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Are you sure they are not laying while on the roost?
    How long have they been laying?

shawthorne44 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: