Girls mounting girls? Are there gay geese?What gives?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by jynxster, Feb 21, 2013.

1. jynxster

jynxster Chillin' With My Peeps

I have two geese. One is a Cotton Patch and one a Toulouse. They were born within a week of each other. I ordered the toulouse and know for sure she is a girl. She laid her first egg today. I know it was her, because her vent was a little messy. I got the Cotton patch from a friend who guarenteed this was a female. Today after i found the egg, I heard some noise in the backyard, I looked out the window . In back I have two large tubs of water side by side. I have noticed in the past, the cotton patch likes to jump from one tub to the other , and in the past will bite the neck of the Toulose if she is in one. The toulouse will usually get out and be on her way. I have been assuming this was just a dominate female and a passive female. I really thought I had two girls which is what I wanted.
    Today I watched. One goose in each tub. Cotton patch crawled onto the back of the tolouse and seemed like nooky was happening. The toulouse didnt seem to mind so I left them be. Now that I think about it. For about 3 weeks or so the cotton patch has become increasingly aggressive towards me, hissing and charging me, this one never really cared for being petted or anything but now obviously making it known that this is his/her home. I was actually starting to think of getting rid of this cotton patch cause I do not want any aggresive animals in my yard. Typically the cotton patch would hiss when somoene , including me, came into the yard but has now risen to charging me and hissing. Im thinking this is a male. Not what I wanted and not what I expected. Any ideas?

2. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Who did you get your Cotton Patch from? Just wondering since their aren't many breeders in the USA and all of them would be able to sex goslings for you most you can actually tell by birth..

Anyways, Your white "goose" in the picture is a CP and he is a male. The females are grey the males if saddleback will have a bit of grey which I looked at your other pictures and he does.....SO looks like the person didn't know or just messed up. lol :) He is handsome. We sadly just 2 weeks ago lost our CP gander to our neighbors dog :( He jumped into our 6ft breeding pen, still upsets me to talk about. I now I have to wait and am getting 3 goslings this spring which will be a gander and another pair so we will have 2 pairs. But still doesn't bring back my gander he had the best personality!

Heres a picture of my CP Pair

[​IMG]

3. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    Just wanted to add that female geese in general (any breed) will sometimes try to mate with each other if there aren't any males in their flock.

EmAbTo48, so sorry about about your gander [​IMG]

4. jynxster

Wow I was really starting to have my suspicions. LOL Well I got him from a gal who was breeding for the purpose to sell. A very nice gal and I was hoping she was the expert on the subject. I got him 2 days old. My TRUE FEMALE Toulouse I got at 3 days old from Metzgar Farms mail order. My CP is not the friendliest and never really has been. Here is pics of him when I first got him. Can you say for sure he is male, I think he is. I think she got her start with someoner in central CA known for CP breeding. He was really really quite green in color when I got him and so sweet. However now that he has run of the yard, not so sweet. Now I understand the breeding season is here some of his behaviors I can understand. Sadly I wanted girls only for eggs, pets. If I had a way to send him to you I would, even though this is an obvious bonded pair. They have grown up together. Another question, How will I know if the Toulouse wants to hatch her egg, I mean do I just leave it in the nest and assume she will hatch it? Forgive my novice questions. and thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Yes he sure looks like a gander :)! Where are you located? I think shipping would be a bit expensive. If she goes broody you will know she won't leave the nest most geese will lay up to 7 eggs before going broody.

However, before you allow her to hatch eggs make sure you can sell goslings that are a mix between those 2.

6. jynxster

I live in southern CA, 30 mile east of san diego. I DO NOT want a mixed breed goose , nor do I really want to breed at all , all I wanted was eggs only for eating. Do you think it unkind to break this pair up. I know here in CA i see people tryiing to get rid of geese and ducks after the novelty wears off and it is difficult. I dont want to cull this gander and I dont want to chance him to an unkind home, I want him to be happy. I also wanted two females. Now thinking I will rehome the male somehow and order another female toulouse from Metzgar. How can I get this goose to you? I would glady send him your way, you sound like you would have a warm heart and good home for him.And thanks for your professional advice about laying eggs. You can private email me if you like, and we can discuss this further. thanks

7. Nerd2015

Nerd2015 New Egg

Mar 15, 2013
    I'm pretty sure both my geese are males, we have had them for 3 years I do believe and we have never found any eggs. So I'm pretty sure they are both males. This year, I have been watching them, and one of them has become way more aggressive. When they escape their coop, they will roam our yard and go into bushes. They attack anything, which doesn't shock me. What concerns me is that lately one of them has become very dominant and charges me, which they have never done before. Today I was watching them and they were humping each other in their pool. They have been doing this a lot lately, and I thought it was just a dominance thing, but today I went out there and went to their house. They didn't attack me at all, that is until I bent down to look into their house. I was almost positive they were males, until today. Are they gay because they keep humping each other?

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I really don't believe there are "gay animals" I see my ducks doing this to each other in the pool and I have drakes and I have seen drakes at the river doing it to each other when there were no females, it's just acting out the mating ritual. If you got each of your ganders a goose they would turn their attention on them instead of each other.

9. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    From what I've read on goose forums, both goose pairs and especially gander pairs may display mating behaviour during mating season.

My own two ganders fought for a couple of weeks and tried to mate with each other in the pool until one of them fell in love with his mirror image in the window. He then clearly became dominant and viciously attacked the other smaller gander whenever he got too close.

I blinded all my windows, and the lovestruck gander instantly forgot his "mate" and turned his attention on the other gander. He now courts the smaller gander and sometimes tries to mate with him. Unsuccesfully, since the smaller gander will not allow it. But in all other aspects they act like a couple and enjoy each others company.

10. Sasa

Sasa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Northern Colorado
    Going Bhonkers;

I have 8 hens and 2 ganders and 2 of the hens were mock mating with each other, NOW they are literally trying to kill each other, drawing blood and all so I have separated them. Any ideas why they're doing this? I am now going to re-home the Giant Dewlap Toulouse and maybe the Sebastopol if I have to :-(

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by