girls not coming out of the coop for days/weeks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bayside chick, Dec 21, 2009.

1. bayside chick

bayside chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2009
    Sorry if this is a dumb question , or one I should already know...

We have 3NH Reds , 2 White Silkie Bantams , and one small Porcelian (sp?) Bantam , the last one being the youngest. They are all laying , or atleast had been before the days got shorter. Now they lay on occasion.

My question is, the 2 Silkies stayed in their coop for a long time several weeks ago , one came out and was acting normal 2 weeks before the other , but they are both back to normal now. Now the smallest one is doing what those girls were doing...she stays in her box in the coop all day , kind of all fluffed-up. If I take her out , she will eat,drink then go back in her box...

I know this is something I should know , so what is it! The larger NH Reds have never had this behavior before , just the bantams.

Thanks

2. chicknjane

chicknjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    Pine Grove, PA
    You stated "she stays in her box in the coop all day , kind of all fluffed-up. If I take her out , she will eat,drink then go back in her box..."

It sounds like the behavior I've heard described for a broody hen. I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in soon. For the record, I'm guessing broody.

Marcy

3. hennypennysmom

hennypennysmom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    Plymouth, Ma
    yup - that's exactly what we are dealing with right now with one of our hens. we have put her in a dog run in the garage to help convince her that no amount of broodiness will hatch the non-fertile-we-got-no-rooster eggs she thinks she's sitting on!
    kara

4. bayside chick

bayside chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2009
    Thanks guys...the funny thing is , she`s not even sitting on any eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by