Girls not laying much

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mullers3acers, Sep 10, 2009.

1. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    We have over 50 girls and 20 pullets about to start laying and we are only getting 12 to 16 eggs a day. We give them crack corn, laying crumbles, and oyster shell they are free range so they get enough grit and bugs. Is there anything else we can do? Egg customers are getting upset as well. Because as soon as I get a dz I put the in the box they are gone. We haven't had eggs in the house for about a week trying to keep up with sells. [​IMG]

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    It sounds like you might be approaching a molt.

You can add more light through the winter to keep them laying. I believe 14 hours is recommended.

Your pullets should be fine when they come on line.

Good luck.

3. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Mine are doing the same. The production has been cut in half. I don't see any signs of molting. I thought maybe the decrease in daylight?

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Here too! I'm getting like 2 eggs a day from my dozen layers. No signs of a molt- but I assumed it was about time for one. The only girl that has molted for me is a dark cornish- the Orps & rocks- nada! [​IMG]

5. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Well at least i am not alone! My girls haven't laid all week! I keep looking at their butts, hoping everthing is OK! Makes me nervous thinking egg bound or something crazy! They all eat, play and seem well~

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by