Girls not laying.......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by joey7319, Oct 21, 2009.

1. joey7319

joey7319 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2009
    Stanardsville, Va
    Ok, so we have 6 girls that are of laying age. We were getting 4 or 5 eggs a day from them. Then 3 or 4, then 1 or 2, and now...........nothing. In fact I think it has been almost two months of nothing. One of them is definately molting, but there are no signs that the others are. They have adequate space, nesting boxes, get laying pellets and oyster shell. They are let into a large run and then let out to free range in the evenings. I've even sat out with them in the evenings to make sure they aren't laying somewhere else..........nada. I know it's fall now and their production going down is normal, but sheesh. I SHOULD be getting something. I actually had to buy eggs the last time I went to the grocery store. Am I missing something? We've also got 7 BOs that are almost to the point of lay, but not quite. A couple of our laying hens are older...........but the others do not have that excuse. Any ideas? Or advice? I'm just at a loss. Thanks in advance.

Nikki

2. Susan B

Susan B New Egg

Oct 20, 2009
    We too are not having any luck with our hens laying. We built a new nesting house about 3 months ago and they started to lay in that during August, but then stopped in September and I have ad to go and buy eggs![​IMG]

We put a light in there during the day (live in the Northwest), fresh wood shavings, added roosts, they get plenty of scratch and layer pellets but they just aren't producing anything. Have walked the coop looking for hidden eggs, moved things around, given them fresh clippings from the yard, oyster shells, etc. but not a thing.

No real signs of molting--one old hen is but that is all. Open to suggestions!
    Thank you one and all.[​IMG]

3. ange

ange Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    CORNING NY
    ours also stopped laying. Does anyone know whjat time of day they lay. I try toet them out to free range after they have laid . I USUALLY FIND THEM, IN THE AFTERNOONS, ANY WHERE BETWEEN 12;30 TO 5;00

4. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Tis the season for few eggs...

They may be molting without you noticing - sometimes they do it very gradually.
    The combination of shorter days and a molt are a sure way to get no eggs.

Check their combs - are they big and red or shriveled up and pale? If they are the later then they may be done for the season. Wouldn't count on anything until the days get longer.

You could try using artificial light but I never do that and I kind of feel they need a break.

Hens lay anytime during the day depending on the individual hen.

5. Susan B

Susan B New Egg

Oct 20, 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions. [​IMG] We'll try the additional light--bigger bulb, on a timer.
    Will be cutting wings this weekend--sleeping too high in the trees, open to attack from owls and hawks, also falling out of trees and ending up outside of coop, which isn't safe either!

New roosts to go in this weekend as well / have some old wooden ladders that we might try.
    Thanks again!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by