Girls not liking their layer pellets...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by vjbakke, Aug 15, 2011.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    We recently switched from grower mash to layer pellets. Up until this week we had mixed the old mash with the new pellets and it was going ok. now that it is just pellets I haven't seen them eating out of the feeder and they are scratching around the bedding looking for any last bits of the mash food. Should I stop giving treats until they start eating the new food? Any ideas?

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I would. They will eat it if they get hungry enough!!

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    What she said. Though when I only had three hens, mine wouldn't eat the pellets so I crushed them up and got them crumbles next time. If I'd had a full 50lb bag of them though, those girls would darn well have learned to like those pellets!

4. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Quote:Ours did the same thing, one thing you could try is to get a handfull out and break each piece up into smaller pieces and give to them like you would treats, this worked out for ours, they ended up picking all the pellets out from the crumbles because they thought they were treats. [​IMG]

5. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    Quote:x2 chickens are smart enough to know when they are starving themselves and will eventually eat what is on hand

6. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Thanks, we don't have a crumble option in the food we feed. It's a soy free layer pellet. We were feeding a soy based mash. For now no more treats until they start eating it! It is a full 40 lb bag!

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Keep giving it.Mine did not eat it either at first but they do now.

8. Warrprincess688

Warrprincess688 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Danvers MA
    They obviously arent going to like the pellets, so if you can return the bag and get them LAYER MASH or LAYER CRUMBLES:)

9. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:They will learn to like it if its the only option besides starving [​IMG]

My chickens were picky about the food when I bought a bag of feed from a different company. I didn't feed them anything else and it didn't take long before they ate the different food.

10. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Quote:They will learn to like it if its the only option besides starving [​IMG]

My chickens were picky about the food when I bought a bag of feed from a different company. I didn't feed them anything else and it didn't take long before they ate the different food.

I agree that's what I will do. Besides I can't return it. ( we order through Azure)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by