girls on strike

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by billy ray, Nov 7, 2010.

1. billy ray

billy ray Just Hatched

Jun 1, 2010
    My hens were laying fine until about 5 weeks ago when all of a sudden they just quit. it doesn't seem right that they should all quit at once. Is there a reason for this and will they start again. Is there something I'm not doing? They have a movable coop and get out to free range occasionally.

2. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    I'm thinking that the shorter days may have set their internal egg-laying clocks off a bit; they'll start again when the days get longer. If you have lights in the coop, disregard what I've said. [​IMG]

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Since they stopped 5 weeks ago, I doubt it was triggered by day length only. Are they molting? Most hens quit laying when they go into the seemingly endless molt of fall.
    My 16 haven't laid in at least 5 weeks either, there are feathers everywhere. [​IMG] I had to BUY eggs this past week!

[​IMG] (I know it's been a while, but first post is a good thing!)

4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    hello!
    my girls went on strike a few weeks back too! [​IMG]
    i was only getting maybe 2 eggs a day from 9 chickens! [​IMG]
    then came the cold front here in ct., i had to turn their heat lamp on... i magically have been getting 5 eggs a day! [​IMG]
    my situation i think it has to do with the light! [​IMG]

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by