1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Girls on their own for a couple days: What great girls we have!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mrs. Feathers, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    We are out of town for the weekend for Christmas. Our coop is set up so we can leave our gals for a couple days but we have not done so since they have been laying. I am thinking that the eggs will be fine to eat if they are left for a couple days? I have a friend who does not refridgerate eggs at all but since I have always done so I am a little concerned. Anything to worry about?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  2. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    They should be fine. If you really don't want to eat them, then scramble them up for the chickens.

Do you have freezing issues?

3. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    Make sure the temp is ok. Don't want the eggs freezing. you should be ok. Merry Christmas! Have fun!

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I hate these short days, makes it hard to gather eggs. Especially with that slick-as-snot adobe mud muck in the run between the coops! I've let some sit in the nests for 3 days before I gathered all of 'em. No freezing here, and I DO leave my eggs on the counter, anyway. I figger they were cooler in the nest boxes than in my house, so no problem.

[​IMG]

5. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    I had a co-worker that lived in Mexico for a number of years. She said the eggs were never refrigerated, they just let them sit in a cool place out of the sun.

I eat my eggs all the time here without refrigeration and haven't gotten ill....

6. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I would not worry about refridge I would be more concerned about fertile eggs starting to develope if someone sitts on them

7. new&learning

new&learning Out Of The Brooder

do you have a neighbor close that might like to collect and keep the eggs for you....when we go on vacation my neighbor always asks...would you like for me to collect the eggs for you...she feels like a farm girl for a few days...and ofcourse i let her keep all she finds....Merry Christmas [​IMG]

8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    They'll be fine--although they may be a bit dirty--and won't start to develop embryos in that short a time even if you have a broody. Enjoy your vacation.

9. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Thanks all! We haven`t had a roo for two months now so should be safe there...besides my girls seem to be more concerned with their bellies and the treats they will get than on going broody!
    Gryeyes...[​IMG] at your slick as snot mud comment.

10. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    I personally would fry them up for the chickens when getting back. Whenever there is the slightest doubt I tend to do that but that is just me. I'm not sure where you are but here we have to worry about eggs freezing. I am leaving for a 24 hour period and know I will have frozen eggs when I get back and those will be fried up for the dogs and chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by