Girls on their way

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by critterwhisper, Feb 5, 2013.

1. critterwhisper

critterwhisper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2013
    Evening gals&guys. Hope all is well with you &critters. Called the hatchery today at work to make sure the girls hatched & shipped out. I was told the girls did hatch and have been shipped out.woohoo! Brooder has been on all day and waiting for their arrival in the morning. I have been enjoying this page and hubby seems to get a cackle when he sees byc on my tablet- lol. Any last minute advice to have a sucessfull few weeks brooding? Looking forward to posting pics on here tomarrow evening after my afternoon class once i figure how to do it.

2. Hotelclepto

Hotelclepto Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2013
    Congratulations! I have chicks coming in tomorrow. Good luck with everything. I'm afraid I can't offer advice as I'm new to all of this too :)

3. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Best piece of advice I can give is since your brooder has been on check the temp in several areas. You only need one area that is about 95 degrees. They need to be able to escape to cooler temps if they need to. Also don't stress too much, enjoy them while they are little. They don't stay that way long enough.

4. critterwhisper

Jan 14, 2013
    Thank you. I found out earlier i had the lamp to low when the temp read 115' whoops.so raised it and now a perfect 95'

5. RonC

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    That's why we recomend only heating small areas. So they can move away from the heat to a cooler area if needed. It's really hard to micro manage a small area. That's why I don't like the rubbermaid totes people use. It could be 40 degrees on one end as long as they have that spot to warm up in. Think of them exploring their world then going back to mom to warm up.

6. SamanthaBrooke

SamanthaBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Jefferson, GA
    Hmm, good advice. I hate to use your thread for another question but how long before the babies come should the brooder be on and heating? Mine are estimated to be here either tomorrow morning or Friday morning latest.

7. critterwhisper

Jan 14, 2013
    Thanks ron,i have had a lil tweeking to do with the lamp,and watching their body language.my momma said the same thing-think of them running back under their mom to get warm :)

8. RonC

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    One or two days to let the temperature stabilize so you can get an accurate reading.

9. SamanthaBrooke

SamanthaBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Jefferson, GA
    Thank you, I better start it now!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by