Girls only.....no boys...yet!

Pkeith1998

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 22, 2011
Georgia
I have what I believe to be 4 hens that are about 4.5 mos old. The man I got them from was moving and he said they were all girls and that 2 of them are RIRs and the other 2 he couldn't remember what breed they are (maybe Marans?) I'm hoping you all can help me identify the breed and gender, please!!! I want to name my girls as I already have names picked out but want to make sure they are girls and not boys. I'm not ready for what happens when boys and girls are in a room together! These are my first (of many) chickens I hope and need to get a few chicks under my belt before I get babies involved.

One other question, apparently these chickens were never held as babies and they won't allow me to touch them yet (I've only had them a week) but they don't seem to mind mingling with me as long as I don't make sudden movements. How do I get them to let me hold them? I don't want to stress them out but want to hold them or should i just except the fact that I can't hold them? I'll be sad if I can't hold them or interact with them!
sad.png

Thanks for all your help.

Now if I can only figure out how to add pics! Here goes!

See better pics below, please!
Correction on age being 4.5 mos.

Last edited:
I hope they're a lot older than two months because if they are really only 8 weeks old, they're almost all showing a little too much red/size in the comb wattles. Honestly, they *look* older than that to me, but the photos are fairly low quality. I would say you've got a couple of RIR or production reds there. The other two could possibly be Sliver Laced Wyandottes.

As to your other question...holding them has never been a big priority for me. I'm really happy just to mingle with them. I have some that are sort of aloof but others that I hatched, that seek out attention, jumping into my lap if I sit down in a lawn chair. I do think that the initial imprinting is crucial to them ever getting that friendly and that acquiring skittish/aloof hens that are half or full grown, they will never get to that point. However you can entice them to be less skittish around you, and like many animals, food is the motivator. Offer them treats (scratch works well) in the palm of your hand. At first they may be too fearful to approach you, but keep trying. Most of all, let them come to you - don't chase them down. Keep offering, with your hand outstretched until one wants it enough to take the risk. Once one does, the others are more likely to follow suit. Avoid quick movements, talk in a calm voice and always be the one that makes good things happen (in their point of view) and they will accept you. Keep in mind they've just had a huge stress (in their minds) by moving from the home they new to these new digs and it will take them awhile to settle down after that too.

I agree. The two black ones look like Silver Laced Wyandottes. I have an SLW who is almost 10 weeks old, and your two look similar to mine, but maybe a bit older?
I am new to chickens though, and I also can't quite tell from the picture.

Last edited:
I'll try to upload better quality pics so as to help with gender/ breed identification. I thought they were older than 2 months but that is what he said. How old do u think they r? 4 months? Are they girls at least? Did he get that right?

Thanks a bunch for the pointers! I really just want to mingle with them without them being afraid of me. I'm just very impatient!
he.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Better photos will help with that too. The thing is, if they are truly 8 weeks, then I'd lean more towards them being boys as the combs are too red and large for 2-month-old pullets. However if they are 5 months old, they look about right to be girls. See what I mean?

Combs don't tell the whole story - sometimes even more telling is the hackle (neck), saddle (in front of the tail area) and tail feathers. In boys the hackle and saddle feathers will be pointy whereas in girls they will be round. Also, in boys, the tail will start to develop some longer, curving feathers.

With focused photos we'll be able to give you a better idea of both age and gender. Sorry I can't be more specific yet.

Sorry. I understand. I will post better pics when I get home! I hope they are in a picture taking mood!!

I appreciate your help!

The two reds look like my Production Reds. My experience is very limited, but I'd guess they're pullets and way older than 2 months. They look older than my girls who are 14 weeks.

Here are pictures of my Silver Laced Wyandotte, who is 10 weeks, for comparison. Right now everyone thinks she is a pullet.
Hope it helps!

98717_p7250159.jpg

98717_p7250160.jpg

98717_p7250163.jpg

ok. I gave them some scratch tonight for the first time and was able to get some pics of the 4 chicks in question. I hope these are better than the earlier pics and will help decide if these are girls or boys and their breed.

If you need to see another side to them, let me know. Thanks again!!

100900_chicks7-11a_010.jpg

100900_chicks7-11a_008.jpg

100900_chicks7-11a_013.jpg

100900_chicks7-11a_026.jpg

100900_chicks7-11a_002.jpg

100900_chicks7-11a_027.jpg

Back
Top Bottom