Girls or boys? And are the breeds correct? Lots of pics

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CrookedHalo09, Apr 8, 2011.

1. CrookedHalo09

CrookedHalo09 In the Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    I'm a first time chicken owner and got all of my chicks at the local Orscheln. I'm not sure how knowledgeable most of the employees are and have seen chicks being put in different bins than they started out in so wanted to make sure what I was told is correct! Thanks in advance!

First the older chicks, they are about 6 weeks old now. Supposed to all be pullets.

These two are supposed to be California Whites (I believe that's what they said).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Said this one is a Barred Rock

[​IMG]

I know this is a Polish Crested

[​IMG]

This one is supposed to be a Rhode Island Red

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this one is supposed to be a New Hampshire Red

[​IMG]

And then I have the newbies. They couldn't tell me how old they are. They're Bantams but they couldn't tell me what breeds or sex (listed as S/R)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LindsayB

LindsayB Songster

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    The RIR is definitley a BOY.... the other older ones are all pullets and your right about the breeds. I don't really know about the bantams though

3. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Songster

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Your little feather footed babies are Cochins. On the Cal Whites, did they have random black spots on them when they were younger? Normally they will have random black spots but I don't know if they develop them as they get older or if the feathers as they come in have them already.

4. CrookedHalo09

CrookedHalo09 In the Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    Quote:I wondered if that one may be a boy. Thanks!

Quote:Nope, no black spots. They were just yellow fuzzballs lol

[​IMG]

5. Sphinx

Sphinx Songster

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I agree about the RIR being a boy- the comb seems pretty big and pink to be a pullet.

I also wondered if your white chickens could possibly be more white leghorn than California white. A California white is just a cross between a california gray and a white leghorn, so it's not really a big difference at all.

6. elabraleon

elabraleon Songster

Oct 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I think your barred rock is a cuckoo marans. does it have pink leg skin?

7. jenesis536

jenesis536 Songster

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    I was going to say the same re: the barred rock. BR's usually don't have black legs. My CM looked liked that.

8. lady feathers

lady feathers Chirping

Nov 29, 2010
    My varred rocks have black on their legs too they are 5 weeks, it will fade as they get older! RIR looks like roo.... the rest pullets except bantams too early, first two look like cochin, couldn't tel you about the third one.

9. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Songster

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    Your little chipmunk bantam looks like mine - prob an OEGB. [​IMG]

10. elabraleon

elabraleon Songster

Oct 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Quote:The black wash on the front is a female characteristic... I was referring to the skin color. Barred rocks have yellow, Cuckoo Marans have pink.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by