Girls or Boys? First chicks I've hatched!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by micheleomal, Mar 31, 2015.

1. micheleomal

micheleomal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    Eastern Idaho
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is Cracker (hatched from a cracked egg that I put tape on). Supposed to be an Ameraucana/Araucana mix. Has a longer narrow tail. Any ideas of sex? It's 4 1/2 wks old. Also, what color would this be. Born a chipmunk and still not completely feathered out.
    .[​IMG]This is Willow. Same age as Cracker, same mix. Tail base is wider and fluffy. Acted like a roo from the day it was born. Ran up and challenged my hand when I put it in the brooder from the bator. Any ideas? Also, is this a wheaton color?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]This is a Black Copper Marans, 3 weeks old. I have 3 others of varying ages, all suspected roos :(
    This one has the smallest comb of all 4. Hoping for a girl with this one. I know it's awfully young to tell. It will either be Francine or Frank.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Only thing I can add to this is your choice of convertible names. Suggest you name the others that can go both ways. Chris...... Jerry,,,,,,,, Joe...... Bobby..... Well you get the idea.
    [​IMG]

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    So far, Cracker looks like the only possible cockerel to me, but it is too young to be sure. Cracker and Willow are not a specific color, since they are Easter Eggers (Ameraucana/Araucana mixes), and Easter Eggers only have mixed colors. Cracker's color probably comes closest to the Silver Penciled found in Campines, though. Willow's color doesn't really match anything.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

5. micheleomal

micheleomal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    Eastern Idaho
    Thanks for the input. Can I ask you what makes Cracker look like a cockeral? It's funny you should say that because the day they hatched I had been reading about feather sexing day old chicks and when I looked at Willow and Cracker, they had 2 completely different wing feathers; Willow was pullet (differing length of primary feathers) Cracker was cockeral (short stubby primaries). Then I read that this can only be done with certain breeds, and continental and Asian breed are opposite so I figured I really didn't know what I was looking at. Weird that it may have been correct....or it's all just a crap shoot anyway.[​IMG]

6. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    The EXPERTS only get it 94% correct sexing baby chicks. You are working your way up the ladder. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by