1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Girls or Boys? (Pic Heavy!)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CocoNUT, May 17, 2009.

1. CocoNUT

CocoNUT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Ok Guys...I'm trying to figure out how many girls and boys I have. Hopefully I've taken decent photos!
    All Chicks are approximately 5-6 weeks old. (I know the silkies are nearly impossible to tell until 6 months, but I'm just throwing them in for fun!)

Popcorn:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Blueberry, my Blue Orpington (I know the photo is catywompas!!!):
    [​IMG]

Kalohe my Deleware/RIR/RSL Mutt:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sweetie my Ameraucana:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Licorice:
    [​IMG]

Spicy: .
    [​IMG]

Muffin:
    [​IMG]

BlueBelle:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cotton:
    [​IMG]

& Finally, Lemondrop!:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok...let's see what you all can come up with! Thanks guys!

2. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    they all look girlie to me except for Popcorn. His hairdoo is roundish looking. beautiful flock!

3. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    I am not even going to try the Silkies. I am not familiar with your breeds but I will try. Popcorn: not sure but am leaning towards hen Orpington: I can not tell. Mutt I think he might be a rooster. Ameraucana I think it is a hen.
    Hope I am right and this helps.

4. CocoNUT

Apr 15, 2009
    anyone else? I know Muffins' coloring vs. Spicys' coloring CAN indicate sex...but I'm not sure which way it goes....

Someone? Anyone?

I'm really hoping my "mutt" Kalohe is a pullet...since SHE is so sweet and LOVES perching on me and letting me pet her!!! No comb yet...and my RIRs are already trying to crow! So here's hoping right? I'm also hoping Popcorn is a pullet...since she's sweet too. Loves to fly out of the pen though!!! LOL

5. Drivegirl54

Drivegirl54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Winder, GA
  6. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Cute photos. I recognize a few of those babies!

The buff/blue orpington cross came from bodyflight (Dawn)'s eggs. I did a test hatch for her. If I had to guess tho... I would say buff orpington hen and I know she has a Blue Orpington Roo.

I am not going to try and guess the sex but I love Popcorn!, I thought the ameraucana would feather in blue and not splash! That is great. And as for BlueBelle all I can say is it looks like the beginnings of a nice mulberry comb!

7. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    The Polish looks like a pullet so far to me! Watch out for spikes in the crest, red wattles, or red horn-like comb popping up--those are definite roo signs! Pullet crests should be nice and round, but yours is in that in between stage right now where it's still growing out.

Aside from the Silkies, everything looks pullet-ish to me. What good luck you must have! [​IMG]

8. CocoNUT

Apr 15, 2009
    Ok now wait just a minute...when you say "mulberry comb"....I hope you're meaning for a pullet?!?!?! Bluebelle is supposed to be my baby! Although I must say Lemondrop is by far the cuddliest...and Kalohe is the perchiest...and I"m really hoping Popcorn is a pullet!!! Popcorns 'crown' used to be much more divided...then started getting rounder. I keep looking and looking for something/anything red on it's face "just in case"!!! Please don't tell me my Bluebelle is a boy!!! I
    'm thinking Muffin MIGHT be a boy cause he was heavily striped as a little itty bitty chickie...and Spicy was more muted. (I remember reading something about that in Partridge colored silkies being able to determine sex). But again...the details escape me! I'm hoping Blueberry is a pullet as well...she's still trying to make up her mind about me -and I thought Orpingtons are supposed to hop in your lap!!!! She and Popcorn made a flight for it last night as I was snapping photos of Kalohe (with the pen door open!!!) Little buggers!!!

9. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    lol..see, what do I know about these breeds! [​IMG] I'd have sworn that polish was a roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by