girls or boys - polish?

wildeflowers

I suspect fowl play!
9 Years
Jun 29, 2010
Hi, all! I'm new here, but I've been trying to figure out what sex our chicks are since we got them and since I am no expert I thought I'd post a couple of pics here for you guys to take a stab at it.

We got these chicks on May 22, and I'm not sure how old they were when we received them. They barely just had some wing feathers coming in when we received them. So this is what they look like now:

4747705786_8cff17ab74.jpg

4747705152_a8358dc5e7.jpg

They were getting a nice dirt bath in tonight before bedtime. We just love them and hope they both lay EGGS! LOL Although I am a little nervous the dark one is a roo. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks. That's what I thought.

Now I know ya'll are laughing at me, saying, "CLEARLY, that's a rooster," but I was really hoping.

Oh, geez, not sure what we're going to do with him, as I originally didn't want a rooster. When we get the coop finished, I am hoping to get some BOs and perhaps a few others. I told my husband we might have to have Sunday dinner, and I think he was a little horrified. LOL I'm not sure I could actually do it myself, just saying if I HAD to, I would. He is a sweet boy, so maybe we will be able to keep him. I just do not want to deal with fertilized eggs at all. Now I know you guys are going to think I'm nuts, but once I got a batch of eggs from the local guy down the road, and I cracked a nearly fully formed chick into the breakfast pan. Was not too excited about that, and now I am completely turned off having roosters for fear of that happening again.

Yes, I know that if I get the eggs daily it will never happen, but now I'm paranoid. Go ahead, laugh some more. Apparently, I am chicken pro life.
wink.png

I don't think it's funny that you are put off because of the chick- in- egg experience. Thats what I'd considered quite a traumatic shock. I probably would never eat an egg(of any kind) again after that.

Your feelings are valid you needn't be ashamed to admit it. Would hate for you to give up the roo if he's nice otherwise. If you are picking up eggs everyday and refrigerating them I would think there would never be a chance for that to happen again. Maybe you could even candle them before using to put your mind at ease.

They are such beautiful birds, in the first picture, it looks like they are exchanging romantic looks.

Thanks. Yeah, it's lucky that I got the egg and not someone else in the house. I am fairly pragmatic about these sorts of things, as my parents grew up on a farm and raised animals for food. Even though we just had a major garden, and not food animals when I was little, I think my dad instilled an ability to deal with the harsher side of the food business. Although I was not happy about it, I just wisked it outside so the kids wouldn't ask me a bunch of questions and started over, and it's not an experience I would like to repeat.

LOL, maybe they are exchanging romantic looks. They certainly love each other and each will cry if out of sight of each other. That's one of the reasons I would hate to give up Marielle, um, I mean Sir Clucks a Lot. They are the funniest little creatures. Crud, I hope my neighbors like crowing. I'm going to need more hens.

Last edited:
I love my Chooks....... they are the most beautiful chickens and make the prettiest noises LOL ........ and the have a kind of passion for each other that i dont see in the others!! very interesting breed!!

Back
Top Bottom