Girls or Boys

ttotoole

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 29, 2008
Ocean Beach San Diego
I know this is a common newbie question. Any guess on the sex of my Baby Barred Rocks?

SANY0036.jpg

These are my 3 barred rocks at about 4 weeks. Midnight on the left, Mia in the Middle, and ? Walter on the right

SANY0025.jpg

This is a pic of ?Walter as a few day old
SANY0041.jpg

Midnight and Walter on the roost
what about these Easter Eggers?

SANY0020.jpg

If there are better pictures I can provide, please let me know.

Terry

With barred rocks, its good to see the headspot as young chicks as well as their legs. Boys have 2 copies of the barred gene so they have Xtra white. The headspot tends to be larger and less well defined. They have less dark wash on their legs.

Walter's head-spot looks big and not well defined, indicating a boy. BUT he seems to have more dark wash on his legs than the average boy. (It is hard to tell from the side. Baby chick photos from above would be good).

without seeing the tops of their heads My guess would be water is a roo he is also showing some signs of a larger comb. Midnight my guess would be a pullet and not a guess on mia. If you can send pics of tops of their heads. The EEs are tough but what i watch for if the comb. The roos will turn more red color and the pullets stay more pink.

On the barred rocks I would guess pullets but I am not 100% sure. My barred rock male when he was little was alot lighter color than my females and he still is. My male also developed a red comb really fast. Also the males had larger, thicker feet legs and feet. If you can take a couple more shots of walter and post them maybe we can help with the sex of walter a little better.
smile.png

Thanks for all the information. Here are a few more shots. I wish I was a better photographer.
The chicks are now about 4.5weeks old.

Walter's early head shots. I know his spot is pretty big. This is my favorite bird. So friendly. He is and has been bigger from the get go. I suppose he could have been a little older when I picked them up. I got the chicks from a feed store that said the chicks were sexed. not sure of the method.
IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

This is group head shot. Midnight on the right, Mia up top and Walter on the bottom.

IMG_0432.jpg

Here are Walter's feet. All of the chicks seem to have the same color on their feet.

SANY0003.jpg

SANY0008.jpg

SANY0019.jpg

Here are some shots of his tail feathers. of note, his tail feathers seem shorter than the other 2.

SANY0022.jpg

Here is a picture of Midnights feet and tail feathers. I think she is by far the most pullet like. Small head spot. Darkest to date.

SANY0026-1.jpg

SANY0029.jpg

Here are Mia's feet and tail

SANY0029.jpg

SANY0031.jpg

I have always feared Walter was a boy. However, I hold hope he is a she. He is much much darker than when he was little. No color on the comb. It seems like the waddle is coming out in all the barred rocks. Walter's barring seems "thin"

Last but not least, this is a pic of the kiddos who are ready for new digs. Coop is under construction.

IMG_0460.jpg

Thanks so much again for looking and caring. This forum is awesome. It already saved the life of my Midnight. She had some pasty but when I first got her. If it was not for this site she would certainly have perished. It was touch and go.....Thanks again.

Last edited:
They are so cute at that awkward age. I'm going with pullets for all three. Mine looked about the same at that age and all turned out to be pullets. I have a BR chick right now that is, um 5 weeks maybe...and his comb is VERY pink.

2 BR (and a SS) at about the age of your youngins
IMGP3546.jpg

My current BR baby at 4 weeks (you can sort of see the pinking of his comb and the early growth of his waddles)
IMGP7282.jpg

I have other, better pictures but they're on the other computer and I'm lazy right now.

Back
Top Bottom