girls or boys?????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Vickir73, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Vickir73

Vickir73 Chickens Ate My Brain

Sep 9, 2010
    Leggett/Livingston
    I have: 10 EE, 10 leghorns, 10 light brahmas, 10 red sex links, 10 barred rock, 11 silkies, 8 guineas. Except for the sex links, which are all supposed to be pullets, and the guineas, which I'm supposed to be able to tell the sex by their call, how and when should I be able to tell the "girls" from the "boys"??? They are 4 wks old tomorrow.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Is it possible for you to post a picture so that we can tell you if we can tell?

What we will be looking for are saddle feathers, size of comb and wattles, and size of legs. Also stance and appearance (and tail feathers).

3. Vickir73

Sep 9, 2010
    Leggett/Livingston
    for some reason I can't seem to get my pics to load. I also have 61, so it'll probably be hard to point out which is which [​IMG] Just trying to figure out when I should be able to tell the difference. I'm curious to see if my 90% hens is accurate [​IMG]

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Someone else recently posted on another thread that usually by 6 weeks in most breeds you can tell the gender,

5. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    [​IMG] I wait till they start to crow. Then you know for sure. I have one that is 3 months old still haven't heard him crow but really looks like a roo. 61! you are starting big. Have fun!!

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    You'll have to wait until 8 weeks or so to tell on the EE's. Things to look for on EE sexing: Most (not all, but most) white/black EE's are male. EE males have a very obvious color pattern. They will stand out more, more variations in colors.

Leghorns: At this point it should be pretty obvious. Look at the combs, males will be much larger at 4 weeks. Keep in mind though, females combs get pretty large as well. (just not as large as the males)

Light brahmas: Generally, the males have more "smut" through their back. But hatchery females can also have this smut. They are a slow maturing breed, so you'll probably have to wait until they are 8 weeks to tell.

Barred Rocks: They are easy. Females will be more black with white barring and males will look more white with black barring.

Silkies: Too early, wait a couple more months. Males will have more "spikey" looking hairdo on their head, females will look more like cotton balls.

No clue on the guinea's.

Generally, just compare the same breed to each other, and you'll start to get an idea of who are the roosters.

7. Vickir73

Sep 9, 2010
    Leggett/Livingston
    thank you. thank you. Happy Chooks, by your description, so far, I have mostly "girls" [​IMG] YAY!!!!! I'm really excited about this venture. I have a good "little" group I think. Since I've moved, I can't scrapbook, so I've decided my chickens will be my "release" and it give me and the kids something to do together. I'll pay more attention tonight and this weekend during the day (I don't return home until dark now), but most if not all of my EE are brown with a design in their feathers. very pretty.

I wish I could post pics for everyone, but I'm having trouble doing it, but I'll keep trying. . .

8. Vickir73

Sep 9, 2010
    Leggett/Livingston
    I've uploaded a few photos, but how do I get them to everyone??

9. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:Go to "uploads" and then "my uploads." There will be a link under each picture that you can past into your post.

10. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    hold one by its neck but dont choke it and dont hurt it. if its leg dangles its a girl if it is moving or kicking it is a boy. this trick really works!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by