girls picking rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rangerlou, Jan 27, 2010.

1. rangerlou

rangerlou Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2009
    harrow
    Wondering if anyone has any suggestions. My hens have been pulling out my roosters tail feathers and picking him to the point of drawing blood. I am using StopPic and duct tape but they still are going after him. Poor fellow! [​IMG]
    I am thinking of putting Lenny in a cage in the coop so that they can't get at him but am worried how this will affect his mental health as he is very protective of his girls.
    Any ideas would be appreciated
    thanks
    ranger

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Why not pen up your worst offending hens for a few days? That will kick them down the pecking order, and give him a chance to re-assert himself.

I think penning him may de-man him even more.

3. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    You might want to try upping the protein in their diet. Also--do they have plenty of room, and stuff to do all day to keep them out of trouble?

4. rangerlou

rangerlou Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2009
    harrow
    Yes they have a large coop and outdoor run. I have also read about increasing their protein which I have done. I think his butt must taste better!

5. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    When we got our roo he was smaller than the girls. What we did was put him next to them at first, but with a fence in between them so they could see each other, but not get to each other. When it come to them being together we started doing during free range time only. then after we put them together we they still pecked him quite a bit. We watched, and took the one pullet that was the worse at picking on him, and penned her up for about a week. That did it! It knocked her down a few pegs, and he was able to gain his place in the flock! The pecking order so to speak, now he's the man!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by