Girls pulling hay our of nest

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Bondo Chicks, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Bondo Chicks

Bondo Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2014
    Kirkwood, New York
    For about a week now my girls are taking the hay out of there nests. We have 8 nests and they have the hay out of 6 of them Can someone tell me why?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you joined us.

I don’t know any details of your situation, how old the hens are, whether they are laying, when you opened those nests to them, things like that. When asking these questions it usually helps to give a little background.

The lips are probably too low to keep the bedding in. There are different reasons they might be scratching in there, but simply raising the lip a few inches just might make all the difference in the world.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

If they are just now coming into lay, this is normal for them to get in there and tear up the nest boxes. They are getting prepared to start laying. This will stop once they start laying.

Ridgerunner X2 Make sure the lip on your nest boxes is high enough to keep most of the bedding in. You may need to add some wood to the front to keep everything in. However if they are vigorously scratching, some is going to come out.

Keep some fake eggs in your nest boxes if they are just now coming into lay. Mine were always looking for an egg in the boxes when they first started laying. Chickens like to know it is safe to lay in the box and a fake egg will fool them into thinking another hen safely laid hers there.

Enjoy your flock and welcome to ours!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

It is relatively normal for newly laying hens to pull out hay and otherwise disrupt their nest boxes. Just keep putting the bedding back, and eventually, they should get the idea.

Good luck!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

7. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG]

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 on Two Crows' advice.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Well that's chickens for you. Glad you joined the flock. Putting golf balls in the nest boxes will work too .

10. Bondo Chicks

Bondo Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2014
    Kirkwood, New York
    My hens are 6 months old and have been laying since the end of August. The nest have been there since they were pullets, but did an addition for the nest in the Middle of September. The lips are 4 inches high. Do you think that is to low?

Thanks for your help this is the first time I have had chickens. What I know I've learned from the folks on BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by