Girls Quit Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by candaceg, Jun 16, 2010.

1. candaceg

candaceg New Egg

May 30, 2008
    Our flock of five just turned two in May and they have all but stopped laying. We used to get 3 -5 eggs per day, but now we are lucky to get 5 eggs in a week. Girls are healthy, not infested with lice, etc., eating balanced feed and drinking, temps are not too hot, not too cold. I know they slow down as they age, but this seems really drastic. Anyone have a similar situation with "older" birds? Is it time to re-flock the henhouse?

Leading to the next tough question...I want eggs and not a flock of pets. Any recommendations for the best way to humanely and quickly dispatch them? I don't think there is a "chicken retirement home" in my area.

2. katplitt

katplitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    I have 4 barred rocks who have done the same thing. I noticed a fair amount of feathers laying around and figured they were molting, (although they never lost all of their feathers). After a while they did start laying again, but I have never gotten 4 eggs in one day like I did when they were younger. I have been trying to figure out why they stopped laying for about 3 months now. Molting is the only thing I can come up with. Hope that helps.

3. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Don't feel alone, I have 5 hens that laid 25 to 30 eggs a week, for the past three months now I have been getting 5 to 8 eggs a week. I'm still waiting for them to start back up, the only difference is that I introduce new chicks and they slowed with the production, but still it is very frustrating, can't wait till they start back up if ever...

4. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    I don't think there is a "chicken retirement home" in my area.

Try craiglist or freecycle usually works for me and usually fast .

5. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Could they be hiding the eggs in a sneaky place, or the weather too hot. Could there be an egg eater??? [​IMG]

6. fmk

fmk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    Ballyhire
    I've a similar problem - down from 4 eggs to one per day from my 4 hens. I noticed two of them actually 'building' a nest in some long grass recently - could they be planning to lay outside for a change?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by