Girls started laying again!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by magikchick, Dec 28, 2008.

1. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    Went out to the coop last night and what did I find. Empty nests again NO! six lovely eggs. After a long dry spell the girls have come thru at last. [​IMG]
  2. mawmaw_t

mawmaw_t Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2008
    South Carolina
    Glad to hear your girls are laying again!

Ours started laying Nov. 2 and are still going. We get about 11 a day out of 20 hens.

A friend of ours told us his stopped laying in August and if they don't start again soon they are going in the pot.

I told DH to tell him to give them time and they will start agian.

How long did yours stop laying for?

3. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    Mine have been stopped for about 3 months! I was wondering if I would ever get any more eggs.
  4. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Glad to hear your girls are laying again! I hope my don't go on strike! Do you know why they stopped? Was it the cooler weather...less daylight time?
  5. walbarbsa

walbarbsa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    Mine are on "strike", too, but they're two years old. The 8 month silkies are laying quite well and one is even brooding some eggs. I'll be overrun with silkies before I know it.

Anyway, I understand that shorter daylight hours contribute to lower egg rates....can't put a light in the coop....
  6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    CONGRATS !!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    You must be sooooo happy [​IMG]

Way to go hens [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  7. Montana-Hens

Montana-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Buxton, Montana give me hope. My Welsummer stopped laying at 10 1/2 hours. (Oct) and my Chanticler never made maturity started laying before the short days.

My BPR and Buff Brahama laid all winter.

DH repeatedly threatens the girls who haven't laid! I can hardly wait for them to get enough daylight to all be happy layers.
  8. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 3 silkies and have been averging 2 a day for a few weeks now...they took a day off on Christmas day but then I had 3 friday and 2 yesterday and 2 today...
  9. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    I know how you feel-mine were on strike for months, but I got an egg on Christmas day, and more have followed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by