Girls stealing eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicken Downunder, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Chicken Downunder

Chicken Downunder Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2009
    New Zealand
    A friend is using our boody hens to hatch some of his flocks fertilised eggs (his hens don't go broody!!!). Two batches of eggs placed a week apart under two different hens. All going well, but I should of marked each batch, the girls are constantly stealing each other eggs even though the nests are well apart and now I haven't got a clue which batch is which.......it sure is going to be fun at hatching time :).

But seriously, how long will the hen sit on the unhatched (newer and so still developing) eggs when she has fluffly chicks to look after and how will they know whose chicks are whose? My inexperience is showing here.

Thanks for any replies

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I don't know from experience, but I have read that the hen will leave the nest to care for her chicks. I am guessing after a couple days to allow for hatching. Since the chicks can live on the absorbed yolk for 2 or 3 days, I am guessing the hen would sit on the others eggs that long. [​IMG]

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

By the way, I had a broody buff orpington once ... she used to go steal eggs. I watched as she would push an egg with her beak and then place it under her wing, and carry it from one nest to the other. I thought it was so cute! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  4. Chicken Downunder

Jan 22, 2009
    New Zealand
    Funny you should say that, its the Buff Orp who I think is stealing the eggs (they also swap nests so it does get a bit confusing). The Buff always seems to have the most eggs :)

5. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    yes, they are right...a couple of days is all she will stay on the nest from my experience. I had 2 bantams sitting and when one hen hatched the other hen stayed on her own nest, but not as much..sometimes she would get off her nest to go to the other nest. sometimes there would be the two sitting on one nest, but the mom would send her back sometimes. I guess it's like a pesty neighbor. [​IMG]

6. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

when the momma hen have even 1 baby, she will start making protecting voice and she will start to leave the egg in the box, that's why it's important to have an incubator.

i experienced this just 2 week ago, my hen leave the remaining egg inside the nest box although i've took the baby silently in the night, and the other broody also leave the nest with the baby and not come back anymore and i found out that there're still some embryos alive. [​IMG]

huh, they're really dumb hens but strong protector of the babies. [​IMG]

7. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Keep an eye on them and keep the bator ready. When she starts to leave the nest to care for the chicks, snag the eggs and put them in the bator. Good luck!

8. smithzoo100

smithzoo100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2009
    Oroville, CA
    If your other broody is sitting tight, you might be able to tuck the unhatched eggs under her to finish up. I have had that work with ducks and geese in the past (but have yet to try it with chickens since this is the first year we will have roosters). Let us know what happens!!

9. Chicken Downunder

Jan 22, 2009
    New Zealand
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I don't have incubator, so just hope that I can sneak eggs to the other broody, unless they both hatch eggs from the first batch at the same time. We will work something out - hey - maybe my Light Sussex who is just starting to show signs of being broody can take over!!!![​IMG]

10. Ducks-R-Us

Ducks-R-Us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Dakota
    I have a silkie that hatched two duckling a week ago and she is still sitting on two other eggs. She was off her nest about 5 days before the ducklings hatched and ended up with a couple extra eggs. I just left them with her to see what would happen. She does get off the eggs more often now but I candled the eggs last night and both are good - for now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by